The Thunderbird School of Global Management at Arizona State University (www.thunderbird.asu.edu) is pleased to announce this incredible opportunity for a tenured faculty position in Global Strategy and Digital Transformation, focusing on organizational strategy and strategic management of technologies and innovation, and/or global digital transformation across the global private, public, and/or nonprofit sectors. The position is open in rank at the tenured level (Associate or Full), with the expectation that the successful candidate will have a demonstrated record of world-class graduate and undergraduate teaching, the ability to conduct high quality research to include publications in “A level” journals and/or books with premier publishers/University presses as well as impactful teaching case studies and top-tier applied publications (HBR, SMR, SSIR etc.). The successful candidate will be committed to collegial engagement and deep collaboration with phenomenal colleagues from multiple disciplines and wide-ranging global backgrounds to support and enhance Thunderbird’s transnational culture of global inclusive excellence, innovation, and impact. Candidates who have lived or worked for extended periods in different parts of the world, with prior experience / demonstrated success in Executive Education teaching, and demonstrated global leadership, entrepreneurship, and service inside and outside of the academy highly preferred.
Appointments to the position will begin in Fall 2024.
About Thunderbird School of Global Management at ASU
The Thunderbird School of Global Management (#1 in International Trade, QS World University Rankings 2023, #1 Masters in Management, Wall Street Journal 2019) at Arizona State University (ASU) (#1 for Innovation for nine years in U.S. News and World Report), located in downtown Phoenix, Arizona (the 5th largest and fastest growing metropolis in the United States), is housed in its brand new $100 million 5-story global headquarters that is equipped with extraordinary technological capabilities to support teaching, research, and service to the local and world communities that it serves. Its mission is to educate, empower and influence global leaders and managers in all sectors – private, public, nonprofit – for the 4th Industrial Revolution to advance sustainable and equitable prosperity and peace worldwide.
Thunderbird is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) and is an affiliate of the Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs (APSIA). As a historic leader and 21st century pioneer in global leadership and management education, Thunderbird has doubled the size of its student body and faculty, undertaken a set of curricular innovations including degrees in the management of creative industries and outer space enterprises, as well as a just launched pathbreaking doctorate of professional practice in global leadership and management, an expanded and diversified its portfolio of executive education offerings with major open enrollment and custom programs with leading private and public sector partners worldwide.
Thunderbird has grown from 3 to 20 Regional Centers of Excellence around the world – from Tokyo to Nairobi, Dubai to Bogota, Shanghai to Geneva and Jakarta – recruiting and serving students and faculty. The number of centers is expected to grow to 25 by the end of 2025, and with it, significant new opportunities in executive education. In addition to these hub locations worldwide, Thunderbird’s faculty teach in various degree programs at physical locations in both Los Angeles and Washington, D.C, in addition to Phoenix, and designed the courses in the revolutionary Najafi 100 Million Learners Global Initiative (100millionlearners.org).
The Thunderbird faculty are a globally diverse and collaborative group that strive to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment, strongly supportive of providing equal opportunity to exceptional candidates of every race, gender, creed, national origin, sexual orientation and identity. We welcome candidates from all over the world!
- Possess an earned doctorate with a specialization in Global Strategy, Leadership or Management.
- Must have a strong record of applied global research.
- Demonstrate the potential to actively publish research and cases in premier scholarly and applied journals, and/or books with highly ranked publishers.
- Demonstrate ability to effectively teach courses on global strategy across the private, public and non-profit sectors at the graduate and undergraduate levels —ideally in multiple modalities.
- Candidates for the tenured Associate Professor or Full Professor rank should have an international reputation and distinguished record of scholarship, executive education, applied experience, external leadership, and university service.
- Demonstrate a capacity for academic and professional innovation and entrepreneurship; and
- Demonstrate the potential to meet both Thunderbird and ASU’s requirements for tenure.
Other Preferred Qualifications
- Should have global, digital, inclusive and sustainable mindsets and competencies.
- Executive education teaching experience.
- Proficiency in more than one language.
- Experience of either living and working in more than one country.
- Interdisciplinary backgrounds, applied research, and professional experience as complements to scholarly achievement: and
- Cross-sectoral competencies from business, government and nonprofit sectors.
Applicants should submit the following:
- A cover letter introducing the candidate, the qualifications for the position, and motivation to apply.
- Curriculum vitae and list of publications under review and stage of review.
- Research statement.
- A teaching statement with evidence of teaching effectiveness (i.e., evaluations or evaluation summaries.)
- A statement addressing the potential contributions to advancing diversity and inclusion at both Thunderbird and ASU; and
- A list of at least three (3) references.
- Applicants advancing to the second round of review may be asked to provide additional materials.
- All Applications must be submitted electronically https://apply.interfolio.com/136318
Application deadline is January 14, 2024; applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis for a reserve pool. Applications in the reserve pool may then be reviewed in the order in which they were received until the position is filled.
Arizona State University conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses and certifications.