Location: Boston, MA
Category: Professional Staff
Posted On: Fri Jan 5 2024
The Success Coach (Academic Counselor) is a full-time, tenure track position reporting to the Director of Advising & LifeMap. The Success Coach is responsible for participation in the development of and delivering culturally responsive services and programming. Using an equity-based student-centered philosophy, the coach will help students stay engaged and on track to complete their ELL course(s). In addition, the coach will assist students with exploring their academic goals and career interests and aid them in the development of a Financial-Academic-Career (FAC) Plan. As part of this process the coach will track student progress, complete outreach, and provide support at key junctures. The coach will also participate in the facilitation of Steps to Success (STS) workshops and building of group identity through social networking and participation in BHCC Pathways-related co-curricular activities.
- Demonstrate multicultural competence, including awareness and understanding of historically minoritized and immigrant populations.
- Collaborate with other offices to provide a smooth transition and ongoing support for students enrolling in ELL courses.
- Employ a Developmental Model of Advising to guide students in the exploration of career and academic programs and pathways.
- Administer and interpret career assessments to match undecided students with a Learning Community.
- Utilize intrusive advising approaches to assist students with creating personalized financial, academic and career (FAC) plans.
- Proactively outreach and meet with students at key times for continuous needs assessment and connection to appropriate resources.
- Document meetings, student goals, and advice in Ellucian selfservice, Colleague and other student information systems.
- Use grade reports to monitor student retention and completion.
- Maintain an educational and work environment that affirms commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion by providing a highly supportive, culturally responsive, and engaging environment for students.
- Collaborate with ELL faculty to integrate academic, career, and transfer advising across the curriculum; assisting with the design and/or initial facilitation of related classroom presentation.
- Assist the Coordinator of Success Coaching with faculty training on group advising, educational planning and career exploration activities.
- Participate in all required professional development.
- Master’s degree in Education, Counseling, Psychology or a closely related field; with three (3) years of experience and/or training involving academic and/or financial advising which can be substituted for comparable experience in an institute of higher education or client-based community organization; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Knowledge of student development concepts and academic coaching strategies.
- Ability to communicate in English and an additional language (conversational fluency) and/or experience living in a country where English is not the primary language.
- Excellent, demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient user of Microsoft Office applications: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work at least 2 Saturdays per month during peak registration.
- Experience working in a community college and/or Minority Serving Institution (MSI)
- Experience working with adult learners and/or first-generation students.
- Proficiency in student information systems, such as Ellucian Colleague
Salary Range: $63,288.00 – $64,292.00. Actual Salary Will Be Commensurate with Education & Experience in Accordance with MCCC/MTA Collective Bargaining Agreement. Full state Benefits.
Grade 5: Unit-Professional position
Review date: January 19, 2024