The School of Engineering is a unique place, which emphasizes the power of interdisciplinary thought and recognizes that engineering is intertwined with every aspects of our lives. Under the new leadership of Dean Tejal Desai, we are seeking a Coordinator for our ARISE Project.
The biomedical engineering (BME) programs at Brown University (BU), Columbia University (CU), Johns Hopkins University (JHU), and Yale University (YU), have joined together in the Alliance for Relevant and Inclusive Sponsorship of Engineers (ARISE). ARISE Alliance is a five-year National Science Foundation (NSF) grant award between these four universities to promote sponsorship and the career success of underrepresented scholars in biomedical engineering. The members will aim to promote equity and inclusion by extending the professional networks and opportunities of young biomedical engineering scholars, and in doing so, to increase the visibility, collaborations, and professional successes of diverse young researchers.
The ARISE Project Coordinator supports the Principal Investigator’s (PI) focus on harmonization of hiring standards among the four universities. The incumbent will support alliance operations; develop data collection and privacy protocols; manage data collection and databases; analyze data and develop reports; manage NSF reporting; oversee communications to partners and participants; maintain and manage the ARISE website and dashboard; and scholar recruiting and development activities. They will work with Coordinators at the partner institutions to schedule regularly occurring Zoom meetings and in-person events for all ARISE Alliance partners.
*This is a five-year, fixed-term position that may be extended, contingent upon the continued availability of funding.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree and 2-5 years of relevant experience. Master’s preferred.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Initiative, judgment, and time management skills to independently problem solve and prioritize workload in a fast-paced environment while maintaining careful attention to detail.
- Experience managing data–applying basic analysis with tools and platforms (e.g., Excel, Tableau, R, Python).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with all constituents, both internal and external, emphasizing tact and diplomacy.
- Excellent skills and experience with various computer software including Microsoft Office (Word and PowerPoint) Google Office (Gmail, GDocs, GSheets), Adobe Acrobat, and Adobe Illustrator (preferred).
- Internet competencies–internet searches, updating websites.
- Detail-oriented with a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to maintain confidence and discretion in sensitive financial matters
- Ability to work and interact with various levels of personnel and communicate effectively, independently, and in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to support a community of diverse perspectives and cultures in an inclusive environment.
Brown University offers a flexible work/life balance; summer hours, winter break and a comprehensive Benefits package including time off, annual paid holidays; benefits offerings including health, dental, vision, tuition assistance, retirement, wellness, employee discounts and more. To learn about Brown University’s benefits, visit the UHR web page here for further information.
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background check and education verification.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
ARISE Project Coordinator
School of Engineering
Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.