Brown University is a leading research university distinct for its student-centered learning and deep sense of purpose. Our students, faculty and staff are driven by the idea that their work will have an impact in the world.
Brown University offers a flexible work/life balance; summer hours, winter break and a comprehensive Benefits package including time off, annual paid holidays; benefits offerings including health, dental, vision, tuition assistance, retirement, wellness, employee discounts and more. To learn about Brown University’s benefits, visit the University Human Resources web page here for further information.
About the Opportunity:
Brown University’s School of Professional Studies (SPS) brings a Brown education to new audiences of learners: those focused on development of skills and a breadth of knowledge necessary for professional success and leadership. We leverage Brown’s intellectual centers of excellence, rigorous teaching, and developmental approach to learning in a range of programs, including serving students outside of traditional degree programs. We partner with Brown departments, centers, institutes, and schools to develop degree and non-degree programs, and to support the recruitment, retention, and placement success of master’s students, including traditional, non-traditional, and professional students.
The Associate Director of Non-Degree Programs manages the development, delivery and evaluation of the portfolio of custom and open enrollment programs at the School of Professional Studies as a member of a small team. The portfolio of programs managed by this position includes the full suite of mindfulness programs including the MBSR and MBCT Teacher Certificates. This position reports to and works closely with the Associate Dean of Executive Education. The programs offered in-person, blended or online advance Brown SPS’s educational mission and revenue generation goals while meeting the needs of professional learners across various industries.
The Associate Director of Non-Degree Programs manages collegial and productive relationships with faculty, instructors, marketing, enrollment, and operations teams in the School of Professional Studies, and relevant non-SPS Brown departments, such as Digital Learning Design. The position also interfaces with corporate clients to ensure the successful delivery of programs that meet participant goals and financial metrics. This position is responsible for program scheduling, faculty engagement, project planning, project management, problem resolution and escalation, budgeting and oversight for multiple programs. Success metrics include the timely scheduling of existing programs, efficient allocation of teaching assignments to instructors, enrollments, participant evaluations, timely launches of new programs, faculty engagement and financial impact of the program portfolio.
As a direct supervisor to a small team of staff members, the Associate Director conducts performance evaluations,
sets individual and team goals, and supports the professional development of staff. This position supervises the full, part-time and contract teachers, instructors and faculty (~3 full time FTEs plus seasonal part-time instructors as needed) of the mindfulness programs with responsibility for employment decisions, performance evaluations, goal and priority setting and professional development as supported by approved budgets and plans. The Associate Director also manages a portfolio of other programs in the non-degree space.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and 7 years of relevant work experience, with 3 years of experience managing programs, including operations, strategic planning, and business development in the adult learning, executive/professional education or online education industry or the equivalent combination of education and experience required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Excellent planning, organizational, team-building, and stakeholder engagement skills.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to perform and manage project details under tight deadlines.
- Positive team-centered attitude.
- Client-centered orientation with impeccable customer service skills.
- Ability to lead in a matrix environment.
- Demonstrable entrepreneurial spirit, interpersonal skills and experience in relationship building.
- Excellent follow-through and follow up skills
- Adept at balancing mission-driven program development with careful attention to efficient use of monetary, personnel, and time resources.
- Work experience in the field of mindfulness.
- Work experience in higher education, professional education, and/or online teaching and learning.
- Experience in developing and delivering educational programs for adult learners.
- Demonstrated familiarity with online learning platforms.
- Experience with educational evaluation and assessment.
- Strong digital media skills.
- Willingness and ability to support a diverse and inclusive campus community
Preferred Job Competencies
- Experience working with Slate or other CRM systems
- Knowledge of HTML and email service provider platforms
- Experience in education, launching and marketing new products
- Experience with layout/design programs such as Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign)
Salary Grade: 11
Additional Information: Applicants are asked to include a resume and cover letter. This position requires work on Brown’s campus in Providence, with flexibility to work remotely multiple days per week. Brown is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Background Check: All offers of employment are contingent upon a successful criminal background check and education verification satisfactory to Brown.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Associate Director, Non-Degree Programs
School of Professional Studies
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.