The Assistant Director works closely with the Director, Alumni Belonging to design and implement a strategy to grow and support shared interest group alumni communities. Shared interest groups are alumni groups that form around a shared affiliation, profession, identity, or purpose. These engagement groups offer a way for alumni to build their lifelong connection with the University community around shared identity, professional and intellectual interests, and passions. The Assistant Director will also provide secondary support and thought partnership to the Director, Alumni Belonging in evaluating holistically how our Alumni Relations programs and initiatives serve the interests and needs of historically represented groups (HUGs) in the University.
This position will collaborate with Belonging team members and other Alumni relations staff members and university stakeholders, including academic departments and campus life, to connect alumni shared interest groups with affiliated campus and alumni communities. This position will serve as the staff liaison to the shared interest groups, providing training, guidance, and support to volunteer leaders and boards.
Brown University is committed to advancing diversity, inclusion and equity. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged to apply. Brown University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 4 years experience in a related field such as development, customer relations, alumni programming or advising, event planning, and support.
- Experience in higher education or non-profit settings and knowledge of Brown University values.
- Community building experience. Direct experience with volunteer or constituent management.
- Demonstrated experience and success in strategy development, project coordination, and event planning, including virtual and/or hybrid events.
- Proficiency with Zoom and strong knowledge of MS Office Suite and Google Suite.
- Working knowledge of the Windows environment, including Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, electronic mail and calendars, mainframe, and internet/html that support high-level fundraising.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work nights and/or weekends, as needed for special circumstances, such as Reunion Weekend.
- Demonstrated commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB), including experience/ability to identify and emphasize diverse perspectives in programming, communications, and strategy.
- Must be a detail-oriented self-starter with a demonstrated ability to work independently and manage multiple projects and priorities to meet aggressive timelines and challenging deadlines.
- Ability to contribute to the design and implementation of strategic plans.
- Comfort in dealing with a wide range of University constituencies.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer relations skills, with the ability to deal diplomatically with a variety of constituencies and the general public relations of the University.
- Excellent planning, organizational, and time management skills.
- Track record of collaboration and/or community engagement with highly diverse sets of stakeholders.
- Excellent professional, management, and interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to working in a team environment is essential.
- Given the nature of the work and the high level of most of the members of the constituency, a high level of integrity, tact, and discretion is required to deal with confidential donor/prospect information.
Applicants are asked to submit a cover letter and resume with their application. All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Assistant Director, Shared Interest Groups
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.