Brown University is a leading research university distinct for its student-centered learning and deep sense of purpose. Our students, faculty and staff are driven by the idea that their work will have an impact in the world.
Brown University offers a flexible work/life balance; summer hours, winter break and a comprehensive Benefits package including time off, annual paid holidays; benefits offerings including health, dental, vision, tuition assistance, retirement, wellness, employee discounts and more. To learn about Brown University’s benefits, visit the University Human Resources web page here for further information.
About the Opportunity:
The John Nicholas Brown Center (JNBC) focuses on promoting the broad public discussion and dissemination of academic research and scholarship across the full range of disciplines.
The Center Manager works in partnership with the Center Director on strategic planning, design, and management of all financial, administrative, and human resource operations as well as academic programs, events, and communications for an interdisciplinary research center. The incumbent collaborates with invited speakers and guests, Brown University faculty, vendors, program stakeholders, and University Events Management to ensure that Center programs and events are appropriately supported within University policies and requirements.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop and oversee the Center’s operating budgets.
- Analyze and develop recommendations for the allocation/use of endowment funds as well as grants and gifts.
- Provide stewardship of existing and anticipated gift and endowment funds.
- Conduct short- and long-term strategic financial planning and advise the Director in relation to current and future financial/budgetary needs.
- Generate regular and ad hoc financial reports and analyze financial data for the Director and for the Office of Sponsored Programs.
- Consult with the Controller’s Office, Provost’s Office, Office of the Dean of the Faculty, Office of Sponsored Programs, and other central administrative offices to ensure Center adherence to Brown financial policies and protocol.
- Coordinate the management of internal and external fellowship programs, grants, academic courses and research accounts.
- Coordinate and process internal Brown faculty and external visiting faculty appointments.
- Manage the daily processing of all accounts payable/receivable transactions and grant/fellowship disbursements.
- Evaluate and respond to all ad-hoc requests for financial support from other Brown entities and oversee the transfer of funds to those entities.
- Manage year-end financial closings.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of administrative experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience providing high-level administrative support in an academic setting preferred
- Strong strategic planning and analytical skills.
- Proven ability to evaluate and make sound recommendations on complex issues.
- Prior experience in preparing grant proposals and managing grants strongly preferred.
- Preferred familiarity with University operations, including Facilities, Finance, and project management.
- Strong financial and analytical skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in the use of computers and computer applications, with desktop publishing and web page editing software desirable.
- Superior organizational and multitasking skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to support a community of diverse perspectives and cultures in an inclusive environment.
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
John Nicholas Brown Center
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.