The individual in this position has veterinary support responsibilities both on the Brown University campus and at the Affiliated Hospitals having research programs involving the care and use of laboratory animals. Its occupant (in consultation with the Assistant and Associate Directors of CARE) participates in programs of veterinary care, provides surgical support, advises animal care staff members at multiple institutions, assists the institutions in maintaining compliance with Public Health Service and U.S. Department of Agriculture regulations and guidelines, provides guidance in maintaining accreditation of animal care and use programs and facilities, advises/assists Principal Investigators in the design and performance of animal care and use protocols, and serves on the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committees of those Affiliated Hospitals.
Education and Experience
- Must have a degree in veterinary medicine from an AVMA accredited school.
- Must be licensed in at least one US state and be willing to become licensed in the state of RI.
- Must have Formal Residency training and/or four years of full-time experience in laboratory animal medicine. American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine (ACLAM) board eligibility or board certification are preferred. Or, equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Must be able to exert influence without necessarily having direct line authority.
- Must be able to work in a number of locations, and be able to budget time and effort effectively according to the needs at each one.
- This individual must work effectively with a number of people in different institutions (with their different working climates) to foster and maintain high-quality animal care and use programs and facilities while having only a modicum of direct line authority.
- Emergency veterinary coverage on a rotating on-call basis on evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Must possess a willingness and ability to support a diverse and inclusive campus community
Criminal and education background check required.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Clinical Veterinarian, CARE
Center for Animal Resources and Education
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.