Brown University is a leading research university distinct for its student-centered learning and deep sense of purpose. Our students, faculty and staff are driven by the idea that their work will have an impact in the world.
Brown University offers a flexible work/life balance; summer hours, winter break and a comprehensive Benefits package including time off, annual paid holidays; benefits offerings including health, dental, vision, tuition assistance, retirement, wellness, employee discounts and more. To learn about Brown University’s benefits, visit the University Human Resources web page here for further information.
About the Opportunity:
The Data Science Institute (DSI) The Data Science Institute (DSI) is a campus hub for research and education in the emerging field of data science. DSI currently includes two interdisciplinary research centers, the Center for Computational Molecular Biology (CCMB) and the Center for Technological Responsibility (CNTR). The institute and its centers offer academic programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels, host postdoctoral researchers, and support collaborative data science research across campus.
The Communications and Events Coordinator will manage all aspects of internal and external communications, including social media, newsletters, and website content; they will also manage both small-and-large-scale events including seminars and lectures, workshops, and recruiting/information sessions for students. This position will provide event planning and operational support for the department by working collaboratively and independently with faculty, staff, students, industry partners, and other campus departments
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 2 years of relevant experience, or the equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Previous experience within an academic environment and in a role that supports communications, development, community and industry outreach, and events/special programs is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Customer-service oriented
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency in MS Office applications and Google Suite
- Knowledge and command of evolving social media platforms
- Ability to prioritize complex and at times competing goals
- Ability to take initiative and use professional judgment to independently problem solve and coordinate efforts with other involved parties
- Ability to work with little supervision and also serve as strong team member
- Ability to research, analyze, summarize, and report findings
- Ability to exercise restraint and discretion in matters that are confidential or otherwise sensitive to faculty, students, and staff
- Strong commitment to promoting diversity and equity
- Proficiency in Adobe Suite and other graphic design software and web design preferred
Applicants are asked to include a cover letter and resume.
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Communications and Events Coordinator
Data Science Institute
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.