- Ability to understand and follow instructions, take direction, read and interpret recipes, and understand symbols of weight and measure.
- One-year experience as a Food Service Worker and/or experience in and demonstrated ability to assist in all areas of basic food preparation and/or extensive experience in some areas with a working knowledge of all others.
- Neat and clean appearance.
- Ability to perform required tasks with speed and efficiency.
- Basic mechanical ability to operate assigned equipment correctly and safely
- Possess a willingness to promote a diverse and inclusive campus community.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is routinely required to stand for extended periods; walk; sit, bend; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl use hands to finger, handle, slice, dice, chop, or feel objects, knives, tools or controls on kitchen equipment; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; smell, talk or hear.
- Must occasionally lift or move products and supplies, up to 50 pounds.
- Push and/or pull carts weighing up to 75 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Must consistently utilize all Personal Protective Equipment per Brown Dining Services guidelines
- Must wear a cut resistance glove whenever using a sharp or potentially sharp tool or instrument.
- Frequently moves about campus to various locations for catered events.
- Ability to tolerate extreme heat and cold.
As a member of the production team and with direct supervision, assists cooks in preparation and service of the daily cafeteria and/or catered function menus, using established procedures and standardized recipes. Observes highest standards of sanitation, safety and quality assurance.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Formulating simple standardized recipes, with supervision, while adhering to food safety standards related to preparation, holding and service.
- Observing maximum safety precautions in performance of tasks, especially those, which relate to wet floors; cutting, slicing and chopping equipment; steamers, hot ovens and gas stoves; and hot food and pans.
- Correctly disassembling, cleaning and sanitizing all kitchen equipment while maintaining an uncluttered and sanitary work area.
- Performing basic equipment maintenance such as oiling, sharpening, etc. and reporting any malfunction or repair needs to supervisor.
- Practicing proper food handling techniques as instructed to reduce/prevent any incidence of foodborne illness.
- Observing all established policies, procedures and regulations of the kitchen, the department, and the University.
- Improving skills by learning and demonstrating the tasks and responsibilities of a Cook.
- Practicing teamwork by being cooperative with peers and being sensitive and respectful of other’s feelings and beliefs.
- Maintaining a neat, well-groomed professional appearance.
- Performing other tasks as requested.
This position works 40 hours per week, 41 weeks per year with 11 consecutive weeks off during the year.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a records check satisfactory to Brown University.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Dining Services Union Rates
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.