Brown University is a leading research university distinct for its student-centered learning and deep sense of purpose. Our students, faculty and staff are driven by the idea that their work will have an impact in the world.
Brown University offers a flexible work/life balance; summer hours, winter break and a comprehensive Benefits package including time off, annual paid holidays; benefits offerings including health, dental, vision, tuition assistance, retirement, wellness, employee discounts and more. To learn about Brown University’s benefits, visit the University Human Resources web page here for further information.
About the Opportunity:
The mission of Brown University is to serve the community, the nation and the world by discovering, communicating and preserving knowledge and understanding in a spirit of free inquiry, and by educating and preparing students to discharge the offices of life with usefulness and reputation.
The Customer Service Coordinator is responsible for providing the Office of Financial Aid (OFA) with administrative and logistical support, and acts as one of the first points of contact to over 45,000 financial aid applicants and their families each year.
- Greeting and screening all callers and visitors in a professional and courteous manner.
- Providing appropriate information to make effective referrals concerning student financial assistance.
- Providing detailed information regarding financial aid application forms, eligibility, deadlines, and program rules for various federal, state, and institutional financial aid programs.
- Providing light counseling in relation to advising students/families on financing options. Individual may adjust financial aid awards as necessary to reflect the receipt of outside scholarships, cancellation of work and changes in loan amounts.
- Responding to written requests for application and policy information.
- Handling extremely high volume of telephone calls and routes special problems to appropriate parties.
Education and Experience
- Associate Degree and 3+ years of direct customer service experience or related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working in Financial Aid in a college or university setting, highly preferred.
- Proven dependability and punctuality, as demonstrated in prior employment.
- Ability to task shift and prioritize workload while maintaining exceptional customer service and composure.
- Ability to be flexible and organized in a constantly shifting environment with tight deadlines and high volume of activity.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse customer populations and needs, especially in high stress and/or time sensitive situations.
- Highly motivated contributor to the success of the Office of Financial Aid, including a passion for continuous learning and improvement.
- High expectations and standards for self and others to ensure an organized, professional front desk operation and image.
- Initiative and ability to work independently and as a member of a team to resolve problems and make improvements.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including an advanced command of the English language and grammar/etiquette.
- Proven ability to perform with accuracy, confidentiality, and attention to detail to ensure compliance with all government and institutional privacy regulations/policies.
- Proficient in Microsoft and Google platforms.
- Financial aid experience preferred.
- Willingness and ability to support a diverse and inclusive campus community.
Applicants are asked to include a cover letter and resume.
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Customer Service Coordinator
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.