The School of Engineering at Brown University has a new and exciting opportunity to hire an Event Planner.
The Event Planner designs and oversees the integrated logistical needs of multiple events of varying size, complexity and scale of impact in and for the School of Engineering. This includes, but is not limited to: internal and third-party events; conferences; seminars; social events for students, faculty and staff; and/or other programs that support the School’s education and research missions. This position provides high-quality customer service and will collaborate with internal stakeholders, vendors, and various University entities to ensure events are supported and conducted successfully. Assesses program goals, prepares financial estimates, secures necessary technology, furniture and equipment; determines and orders required catering; schedules and runs meetings to plan events; develops program budgets; and negotiates and administers service and client contracts; notifies Brown security for after-hour large events. The primary role of the Event Planner is the planning of events, so that staff in Engineering offices (including but not limited to student affairs, administrative support, communications, IT, and dean’s office) can staff successful events. Given the nature of the event schedules, some early mornings, evenings and weekends are required.
Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, in the administration of its policies, programs, and activities. The University recognizes and rewards individuals on the basis of qualifications and performance.
The successful candidate, as a minimum, should have the following background:
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree and 1-2 years of experience in Communications, Events or Marketing or combination of experience and education.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- Experience with budget management.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to work independently and implement short- and long-term goals independently, but also as a strong team member when the situation warrants.
- Very high level of computer expertise and continued interest in maintaining skills: Computer proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets, database systems including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Suite, and the Internet.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite preferred
- Strong organizational, editing and problem-solving skills related to event planning and execution.
- Possesses a willingness and ability to support a diverse and inclusive campus community.
- Ability to work early mornings, evenings, and weekends as needed.
- Knowledge of audiovisual equipment useful.
- Incumbent must be highly professional and able to interact successfully with individuals at all levels.
- Incumbent must be organized and experienced enough to oversee multiple events in a fast-paced environment with high attention to detail.
All offers are contingent on successful completion of a criminal background check and education verification.
For current information on Brown’s vaccine requirements and other community health matters, please refer to the Healthy Brown website.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Event Planner Specialist
School of Engineering
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.