The Executive Assistant works closely with the Vice President to provide administrative, operational, and logistical support to the VP and the Executive Office. The Executive Assistant serves as a central liaison between the Vice President for Alumni Relations, Division of Advancement staff, alumni and other constituents with whom the department interacts. The Executive Assistant pro-actively organizes the Vice President’s schedule and manages numerous administrative functions including scheduling, travel, correspondence and meeting details. This position is relied upon to research and prepare documents, information and reports as required, to effectively support the work of the Alumni Relations department and the Vice President’s office.
The Executive Assistant must be organized, proactive, and effective at time and task management, asking clarifying questions as needed and moving work forward independently on behalf of the Vice President. This is a fast-paced role in an office with high output.
Brown University is committed to advancing diversity, inclusion, and equity. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged to apply. Brown University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a related field such as fundraising, higher education, nonprofits, sales, customer service, volunteer management, and/or marketing.
- Excellent attention to detail and excellent organizational skills, interpersonal skills, and project and time management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including accuracy in grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently multitask and prioritize workload.
- Willingness and ability to occasionally work a non-traditional schedule as needed (i.e. weekend or evening events, etc.). The EA works in the Maddock Alumni Center an average of 4 days a week and a flexible schedule may be required based on the schedule of the Vice President.
- Proficient with audio/visual and presentation platforms (Zoom, Microsoft Teams or WebEx, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Expertise in Microsoft and Google platforms, especially Google Calendar and email, Google Docs, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- High-level administrative experience
- Experience in higher education or other nonprofit settings
- Strong knowledge of social and digital media, and a working understanding of communication strategy
- Demonstrated commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB), including experience/ability to identify and emphasize diverse perspectives in programming, communications, and strategy.
- Initiative and ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to apply tact and maintain confidentiality. Customer-focused, customer service orientation.
Applicants are asked to submit a cover letter and resume with their application. All offers of employment are contingent upon a completed criminal background check and education verification satisfactory to Brown.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Executive Assistant to the Vice President of Alumni Relations
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.