Brown University is a leading research university distinct for its student-centered learning and deep sense of purpose. Our students, faculty and staff are driven by the idea that their work will have an impact in the world. Brown University offers a flexible work/life balance; summer hours, winter break and a comprehensive Benefits package including time off, annual paid holidays; benefits offerings including health, dental, vision, tuition assistance, retirement, wellness, employee discounts and more. To learn about Brown University’s benefits, visit the University Human Resources web page here for further information.
The Grants and Financial Specialist independently manages all matters pertaining to grants administration, both financial and administrative, and has financial oversight and administrative responsibility for sponsored projects. The position requires a broad scope and knowledge of research administration and financial matters. This position provides award management, subcontract administration, and financial analysis for a portfolio of Principal Investigators. The Grants and Financial Specialist is the administrative liaison between the administrative core, the Office of Sponsored Projects (OSP), collaborating institutions, sponsoring agencies, and principal investigators (PIs).
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required. A degree in Accounting, Finance or related field is preferred.
- Experience: 3-5 years of experience in research administration or accounting/financial/budgeting experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience with with federal and non-federal grants and using Coeus grants management (or similar) system. Familiarity with eRA Commons, NSF Fastlane, and/or Grants.gov preferred. HigherEducation or non-profit work experience preferred, or equivalent combination of education/experience.
- Excellent financial analytical ability.
- Knowledge of OMB circulars preferred.
- Willingness and interest in assuming increasing levels of responsibilities, networking, leadership, and training opportunities.
- Highly proficient in Excel applications (data manipulations); MS Excel and Google Docs preferred.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Excellent communication skills (both oral and written) to elicit and disperse information; to present information (including data) and communications in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong organizational, administrative, time management and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to analyze and reconcile accounts.
- Ability to work with a diverse population and handle confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, multi-faceted work environment.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload in a multi-tasking environment while maintaining careful attention to detail.
- Possess a willingness and ability to support a diverse and inclusive environment.
Additional physical demands and working conditions:
Workload can be unpredictable with hard deadlines. Successful incumbent will have the ability and willingness to work outside of the normal business hours on occasion in order to comply with OSP and sponsor driven deadlines.
This position is hybrid eligible.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal background check and education verification satisfactory to Brown University.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Grants and Financial Specialist
School of Public Health Office of Finance and Administration
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.