Brown University is a leading research university distinct for its student-centered learning and deep sense of purpose. Our students, faculty and staff are driven by the idea that their work will have an impact in the world.
Brown University offers a flexible work/life balance; summer hours, winter break and a comprehensive Benefits package including time off, annual paid holidays; benefits offerings including health, dental, vision, tuition assistance, retirement, wellness, employee discounts and more. To learn about Brown University’s benefits, visit the University Human Resources web page here for further information.
About the Opportunity
The Robert J. & Nancy D. Carney Institute for Brain Science is committed to supporting research and facilitating collaborations in brain science across the Brown University community and beyond. Our mission is to promote discovery and innovation in brain science by supporting a diverse community of experimentalists, theorists, engineers, and clinical scientists. We do this by recruiting and retaining world-class faculty, creating an outstanding collaborative training environment, seeding innovative projects, supporting collaborative teams, and raising the visibility and reputation of Carney researchers.
We seek a Grants and Financial Specialist to independently manage all financial and administrative matters pertaining to sponsored research for the Carney Institute for Brain Science. The Grants and Financial Specialist has financial oversight and administrative responsibility for sponsored projects. This position provides high-level comprehensive pre- and post-award management, subcontract administration, and financial analysis. This position is Carney’s primary administrative liaison to the Office of Sponsored Projects (OSP), collaborating institutions, sponsoring agencies and principal investigators (PIs). The Specialist has a broad scope of responsibilities and is knowledgeable of research administration, including financial matters.
The Specialist independently manages a complex grant submission and management portfolio, including the following primary responsibilities:
- Preparing grant budgets and submitting grant proposals through Brown’s grants management system and sponsor submission portals;
- Collaborating with Carney leadership and PIs to develop and prepare grant and contract proposals
- Providing post-award grants management support, including managing effort, tracking expenditures, and providing financial reports to PIs, Institute leadership, and sponsors;
- Providing general financial support to the Institute, including Workday administration, serving as backup to other administrative staff.
This Specialist is a trusted member of a collaborative administrative team working towards Institute goals and priorities. The incumbent will network with other grants management professionals across Brown to foster collaboration and to keep abreast of best practices and new regulations. This position handles confidential information and is expected to maintain and secure privacy.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with 2-4 years of experience in research administration, accounting, financial management, and/or budgeting, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with grant proposal preparation and/or using proposal submission systems preferred.
- Experience with Workday or similar financial management systems preferred.
- Familiarity with eRA Commons, NSF Fastlane, Research.gov and/or Grants.gov preferred.
- Higher-Education or non-profit work experience preferred.
- Excellent financial analysis, math, and accounting skills.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Web based programs and tools, Gmail and related Google applications, and other systems.
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written) to elicit and disperse information; to present information (including data) and communications in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong organizational, administrative, time management and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, multi-faceted work environment.
- Flexible, service-oriented and resourceful
- Demonstrated ability to support a community of diverse perspectives and cultures in an inclusive environment.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
Applicants are asked to include a resume and cover letter.
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Grants and Financial Specialist
Robert J. and Nancy D. Carney Institute for Brain Science
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.