BioMed’s Grants Shared Services Office supports investigators in applying for sponsored programs and successfully executing sponsored awards. The Grants and Financial Specialist provides comprehensive high-level grant and financial support for the Division of Biology and Medicine and affiliated health systems including guidance to Research Administration staff regarding allowability, and allocability of charges. This position will prepare grant applications and manage awards from a variety of federal and non-federal sponsors.
The incumbent has a broad scope of responsibilities and knowledge of research administration, including financial matters. The Grants and Financial Specialist will prepare and review grant proposals for all department submissions using a variety of grant management systems and sponsor submission tools. In addition, this position will coordinate sponsored research funding and contracts by reviewing and processing awards, interpreting and ensuring compliance with award terms and conditions, providing guidance regarding sponsored project issues, budget management, expenditure review, financial reporting, and participation in training. Assist with training and delegation of tasks to other personnel as needed, including employees external to Brown.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years related grant, clinical trial or hospital administration experience, preferably in an academic environment, or equivalent combination of education/experience.
- Experience using research administration systems including but not limited to federal government portals
- A working knowledge and solid understanding of the practices/procedures related to (not all-inclusive):
- Uniform Guidance, 2 CFR 200, Federal Acquisition Regulations, 45 CFR 75
- National Institutes of Health Grants Policy Statement
- Department of Health and Human Services Grants Policy Statement
- Other federal grant policies as needed (e.g., NSF PAPPG in rare circumstances)
- Health system department policies and procedures (preferred, though not required)
- Proven record of delivering proactive service to multiple stakeholders and faculty.
- Proven record of facilitating interdisciplinary teamwork
- Must be able to manage multiple and shifting priorities and interact with a diverse constituency.
- Demonstrated experience intermediate-to- advanced knowledge of Excel.
- Willingness to learn other systems and processes is essential.
- Ability to be flexible with schedule in order to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, and organizational capabilities.
- Strong financial skills.
- Evidence of problem-solving skills
- Must be self-directed, possess ability to use high degree of judgment, work independently with minimum supervision in a fast-paced deadline driven environment.
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask essential.
- Must be a team player with a strong service-oriented attitude.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to work effectively in a deadline- driven environment required.
- Possesses a willingness and ability to support a diverse and inclusive campus community.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND AND EDUCATION CHECK REQUIRED
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Health System Grants and Financial Specialist
BioMed Research Administration
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.