Facilities Management is an exceptionally talented team built from a diverse group of individuals who are passionate about providing the highest levels of quality craftsmanship, customer service, and teamwork through sustainable practices and who take pride in supporting the mission of the University and Facilities Management “We Care” principle values.
Performs skilled journeyperson level work in the maintenance, repair and installation of refrigeration, heating, air conditioning and ventilating systems, and their controls. This position is considered essential, on-site. Personnel may be required to respond to campus emergencies both during and off shift.
Job Qualifications & Competencies
- Must be a High School graduate or possess a general equivalency degree (GED)
- Must possess state of Rhode Island Refrigeration/Journeyperson II License
- A minimum of two years of relevant experience required
- Must possess certification as a Universal Technician, such certification to be awarded by a program certified by the EPA
- Must posses a valid motor vehicle operator’s license
- Must maintain licenses as a condition of employment
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration systems, and the ability to apply that knowledge and skills in an effective manner
- Must be able to read and interpret Service Orders and instructions
- Must be able to read and understand plans, blueprints and schematics related to HVAC and refrigeration systems
- Must be capable of working independently on all HVAC and refrigeration maintenance and repair projects
- Must have the knowledge and ability to balance air and hydronic heating and cooling systems
- Must possess own hand tools
- Willingness and ability to support a diverse and inclusive environment
Additional physical demands and working conditions:
- Must be physically able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Must have the physical ability to walk throughout the campus and to climb stairs throughout the duration of the shift
- Must be able to climb and work from ladders, lifts, scaffolding, bucket truck, and staging at various heights
- May be required to have the ability to work in areas needing a respirator
- This position is classified as on-site.
- Position is subject to pre-employment screenings.
- General responsibilities include responding, evaluating, and executing electronic service requests and maintenance repair work orders including entering accurate records of work performed and materials used into FM’s computerized maintenance management software using mobile technology devices. This position requires the ability to use a computer, laptop, or mobile device comfortably.
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background check and pre-employment screenings.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
HVAC Refrigeration Mechanic
Facilities Management and Campus Operations
Facilities Union Rates
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.