Information Security Awareness and Training Specialist/Senior Information Security Awareness and Training Specialist
Office of Information Technology
The Information Awareness and Training Specialist is a member of Brown University’s Information Security Group (ISG) within the Office of Information Technology (OIT). This position plays a critical role in developing, maintaining, presenting, and tracking the security awareness training and education program for the entire Brown community. A successful security awareness and education program helps reduce overall University risk by ensuring all community members are aware of and understand Brown’s security related policies and how to apply information security practices to safeguard University data and information technology systems.
In collaboration with others at Brown, this position will manage a broad set of activities, including drafting publications, creating and managing website content, developing and curating security educational materials, managing training platforms, and coordinating outreach, awareness, and educational events. This position will be responsible for evaluating the effectiveness of educational techniques and resources, adapting the programs as necessary to build and maintain a successful security education program.
Some awareness and training activities will be performed in person, requiring the person in this position to live within a commutable distance of Brown University.
They are a member of the Information Security Incident Response Team (ISIRT) and participate in security incident response activities and investigations as required. They may be called upon outside regular business hours in the event of cyber incident.
- Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 2-3 years of relevant IT experience
- Bachelor’s degree or a combination of education and experience
- 4-6 years of relevant IT experience
- IT Security Certifications preferred
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- A creative mindset
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to relate to and engage with a diverse community
- Ability to think proactively and manage multiple deadline-driven projects simultaneously
- Ability to work effectively independently and as a member of a team
- Possess a willingness and ability to support and promote a diverse and inclusive campus community.
- Experience with technical writing
- Experience with customer support
- Experience with Computer Incident Response Team (CIRT)
- An eagerness to constantly learn
Successful completion of a criminal background check and education verification is required.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Information Security Awareness and Training Specialist
Office of Information Technology
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.