Brown University is a leading research university distinct for its student-centered learning and deep sense of purpose. Our students, faculty and staff are driven by the idea that their work will have an impact in the world.
Brown University offers a flexible work/life balance; summer hours, winter break and a comprehensive Benefits package including time off, annual paid holidays; benefits offerings including health, dental, vision, tuition assistance, retirement, wellness, employee discounts and more. To learn about Brown University’s benefits, visit the University Human Resources web page here for further information.
About the Opportunity:
The Learning Technologist of Online Programs is a member of a course development team within the Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning whose work focuses on supporting high quality online learning experiences. This position will explore, evaluate, recommend, and support learning technologies that enhance online learning, and assist learning designers with building course content in the supported learning management systems.
At the Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning, the successful candidate for this hybrid-eligible position will be joining a team of educational developers with diverse perspectives and experiences who are each committed to educational excellence, equity, and access at Brown. Staff within this vibrant center thrive on interdisciplinary collaboration, genuine curiosity, and evidence-based, reflective practices.
The core responsibilities of this position are to explore, evaluate, recommend, and support learning technologies that enhance online instruction and foster learner success. The successful candidate will have demonstrated technical and interpersonal skills, knowledge of the administration and integration of current learning technologies, web accessibility standards, and technical ability to build course content in enterprise learning systems. This position is also responsible for the research and development of emerging instructional technologies, and for conducting quality assurance reviews for online courses.
In this role, candidates can expect to:
- Identify, evaluate and integrate educational technology innovations into the online courses
- Develop, build and improve course sites and/or templates to ready for course launch in consultation with lead faculty
- Apply knowledge of web accessibility requirements, such as ADA Section 508, W3C web standards, video accessibility and closed-captioning to online learning experiences
- Review courses for quality, usability and accessibility using a provided rubric
- Troubleshoot enterprise technology and support faculty for technical software issues that may arise
- Bachelor’s degree in educational technology, learning sciences, or related field, or equivalent education and experience
- 1-2 years experience providing academic support as an instructional technologist or equivalent, preferably in a college/university environment
- Strong technical or IT background with experience utilizing learning management systems
- Knowledge of best practices in usability, universal design strategies, and accessibility requirements, such as ADA Section 508, W3C web standards, video accessibility and closed-captioning
- Demonstrated ability to support a community of diverse perspectives and cultures in an inclusive environment.
- Strong relational skills
- Ability to apply problem-solving skills, perform analysis and seek solutions for continuous improvement
- Why are you interested in working as a Learning Technologist at the Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning?”
- What professional experiences would you draw on to fulfill the primary responsibilities for this role, as described in the job posting?
- Please describe 2-3 examples where you have demonstrated one (or more) of the skills listed in the qualifications for this role, as described in the job posting.
This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship, and the successful candidate is expected to work on Brown’s Providence campus for a minimum of two days per week with the flexibility to work remotely on other days. All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Learning Technologist of Online Programs
Teaching and Learning/Sheridan Center
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.