Brown University is a leading research university distinct for its student-centered learning and deep sense of purpose. Our students, faculty and staff are driven by the idea that their work will have an impact in the world.
Brown University offers a flexible work/life balance; summer hours, winter break and a comprehensive Benefits package including time off, annual paid holidays; benefits offerings including health, dental, vision, tuition assistance, retirement, wellness, employee discounts and more. To learn about Brown University’s benefits, visit the University Human Resources web page here for further information.
About the Opportunity
The Training Manager will join the newly formed Research Training Programs team in the Division of Research. Research Training Programs provides live training workshops and self-directed learning resources to help guide researchers and research staff to effectively navigate the ever growing and complex demands of research. The Research Training Programs team works closely within the Division of Research in areas of Sponsored Projects, Research Integrity, and Research Administration Information Systems and other University partners in General Counsel, Talent Development, and other critical hubs throughout the research enterprise.
This position provides an opportunity for someone to be part of all aspects of the learning design and development cycle, while also contributing toward the University priority of investing in research. The incumbent will contribute to forming and creating the new Research Training Program curriculum.
The Training Manager will design, develop and enhance a variety of instructor-led, eLearning courses, handouts, job aids and other learning solutions as part of Research Training. This role will act as a project manager consultant, working with subject matter experts to create both stand-alone lessons and a comprehensive curriculum. The position will deliver instructor-led sessions both independently and collaboratively with SMEs and guest speakers, in virtual and in-person classrooms.
The incumbent will serve as a trusted partner to the research community, giving instruction on standard practices, advising on common challenges and helping to find answers with experts. The training manager will simplify complex content in both written and verbal communication. They will seek ways to translate legal, policy, and regulatory types of requirements into everyday language and increase learner information recall without compromising integrity of policy or regulations.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree plus 5+ years of related experience designing, developing, and delivering learning solutions or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Instructional Design and/or Facilitator Certification preferred
- Experience with various instructional technology applications such as eLearning development (Articulate 360 RISE/Storyline), virtual meetings and classrooms (Zoom), instructor and learner materials development (word, PPT, Acrobat)
- Experience as a classroom facilitator, including co-facilitating in person and virtual training
- Experience managing learning or other projects
- Advanced ability to explain complex requirements clearly, written and verbal
- Proven ability to building positive and productive relationships
- Demonstrated ability to support a community of diverse perspectives and cultures in an inclusive environment
- Applying Adult Learning Theory and Models
- Conducting needs assessments
- Defining learning outcomes
- Course design and development
- Virtual and In-person live classroom facilitation
- Meeting/Team Facilitation
- Collaboration/Relationship Management/Consulting
- Problem Solving
- Organizational Skills
- Written and verbal communication
- Possess a willingness and ability to support and promote a diverse and inclusive campus community.
Cover letter and resume are required.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal background check and education verification satisfactory to Brown University.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Research Programs Training Manager
Research Administration and Integrity
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.