The Social Media Engagement Specialist will support the Annals of Family Medicine (50%) and the Department of Family Medicine (50%).
As part of the Annals of Family Medicine, the Social Media Engagement Specialist will manage the social media footprint of the journal, including creating engaging branded social media content, both written and graphic, and tracking impact metrics. They will gather data and design and produce reports that will benchmark success of the journal and inform strategies for future success. The Social Media Engagement Specialist will support the Communications Manager in developing coherent campaigns for regular journal issues as well as projects such as special issues and family medicine national meetings. The Social Media Engagement Specialist will maintain records and graph change over time; update and maintain aspects of the journal website; and assist with administrative, editorial, or research projects as needed.
As part of the Department of Family Medicine, the Social Media Engagement Specialist will create a social media strategy and launch social media campaigns for the Department, and redesign, edit, and maintain the Department’s website in order to expand the Department’s reach, particularly focusing on promoting its strong research and education programs and its highly accomplished faculty and alumni.
The Social Media Engagement Specialist will engage in regular professional development to remain knowledgeable about best practices in social and digital communications.
This is a fixed term position for one year which may be extended based upon available funding.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required and 3-5 years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Formal training in design is desired. Coursework in information science is a plus.
- Comprehensive understanding of digital engagement strategies.
- Knowledge of tools and marketing practices for measuring success of engagement efforts; demonstrated experience with metrics such as Google Analytics, Altmetrics, Scopus, and/or Highwire.
- Experience with content management systems, such as Drupal Cloud, and proficiency with website and social media planning, developing, and maintaining.
- Familiarity with web content management systems
- Proficiency with basic image manipulation and graphic design experience with Adobe Photoshop
- Demonstrated experience managing Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and other social media platforms for higher education, business, political or other clients.
- Demonstrated creativity, competency, and interest in data and its representation.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and proofreading skills required.
- Is self-motivated and takes initiative to complete work within deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability and flexibility to prioritize multiple directives and manage complex job responsibilities.
- Is both a team player and an independent thinker who can take an idea and run with it.
- Is able to communicate both orally and in writing with a variety of people, including: MDs and PhDs, publishing professionals, and representatives of software and metrics providers.
- Demonstrated strong written communication and presentation skills with special attention to detail/accuracy and audience.
- Knowledge and command of evolving social media platforms.
- Excellent organizational and computer skills.
- Possesses a willingness and ability to support a diverse and inclusive campus community.
- An interest in scholarly or medical publishing is a plus.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND AND EDUCATION CHECK REQUIRED
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Social Media Engagement Specialist
Department of Family Medicine
Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.