At Brown University, academic deans play a critical role, overseeing the College’s advising programs and a range of curricular and co-curricular opportunities that enable all undergraduates to develop and thrive as they connect their learning experiences to living lives of meaning and purpose. In this context, the Senior Associate Dean of the College for Co-Curriculum provides academic advising, curriculum development, and academic support as an academic dean, while holding particular expertise in co-curricular development and experiential learning. Serving as a member of the College’s senior leadership team, the incumbent is responsible for a team of staff whose portfolios fall into these areas and works closely with other colleagues to ensure collaboration and best practices across the College’s programs, as well as effective program assessment. In addition, the Senior Associate Dean will oversee the strategic growth and ensure the sustainability of specific co-curricular programs in the College.
- Lead a team of academic advising deans and professional staff (~6-8 FTEs) whose portfolios encompass the College’s co-curricular programs for undergraduates and recent alumni.
- Provide leadership and oversight to ensure best practices in individualized student support broadly and pertaining to co-curricular engagement. Serve as a member of the College’s Senior Leadership team and the Committee on Academic Standing.
- Advise and mentor undergraduates for success in the context of Brown’s Open Curriculum as an academic advising dean within the College.
- Advanced degree required.
- 7+ years of relevant experience in undergraduate advising and/or co-curricular programs, at least 3 years of which must have been in a management role.
- Proven track record of inclusive, mission-driven leadership; experience advancing initiatives in a shared decision-making environment.
- Record of achievement in positions of increasing scope and management responsibility. Successful experience in co-curricular program administration, including planning and development, implementation, and assessment. Strong commitment to continuous improvement and accountability.
- Demonstrated experience advocating for and making change towards aspirational goals for diversity, inclusion, and equity. Proven track record in furthering university diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives while supporting students from historically underrepresented and/or minoritized backgrounds is required.
- Strong organizational skills. an ability to work without direct supervision, outstanding written and oral communication skills, discretion, sound judgment, leadership and team-building skills are essential.
- Capacity to work effectively with faculty of many disciplines, with a diverse student population, and with other University stakeholders to advance the College’s and Brown’s missions and the goals outlined in the College and University Diversity and Inclusion Action Plans.
Background check: criminal and education verification.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Senior Associate Dean of the College for Co-Curriculum
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.