Life University, a dynamic and growing private institution focused on chiropractic medicine, invites applications and nominations for the position of Chief Financial Officer (CFO). This is an opportunity for a results-driven and relationship-centered leader with the acumen and expertise to be the strategic business officer for the University. In this role, the CFO will be a strong partner to the President, Board of Trustees, and senior leadership team in the overall financial management of the institution.
Located in Marietta, Georgia, just 25 minutes outside of Atlanta, Life University’s 110-acre campus is home to the largest single-campus chiropractic college in the world. Founded in 1975 to fulfill the need for a vitalistic chiropractic college, Life has grown significantly in size and prominence. Known for its academic excellence, research initiatives, and policy advocacy, Life University currently serves 2,760 students in undergraduate and professional graduate programs. Life students are instructed by more than 200 full-time and part-time faculty.
The mission of Life University is to empower each student with the education, skills, and values to maximize the perfection within, based upon a vitalistic philosophy. Life University is committed to a global vision and excellence in teaching, learning, and research, providing an exceptional student experience leading to a life of integrity and lasting purpose.
This position is responsible for overseeing a broad array of the University’s financial and organizational components. The CFO will report directly to the Executive Vice President for Finance and Operations (EVP) while working very closely with the University’s President. The CFO currently oversees two direct reports in the budget office, and there may be opportunities to expand this leadership portfolio in the near future.
The CFO will have the opportunity to collaborate with the President and Office of Advancement to identify ways to increase the University’s endowment while providing excellent stewardship of philanthropic funds. This role will be expected to lead internal analyses of current processes and procedures, helping to identify and propose plans for efficiencies and innovative and entrepreneurial opportunities to invest in the future growth and expansion of facilities. Working with the EVP and President, this position will also support the Board of Trustees with long-range financial analyses and strategic initiatives. The CFO will actively manage the University’s budget, which currently sits at approximately $80 million.
The CFO will be required to possess a bachelor’s degree; an advanced degree or a CPA is highly preferred.
Life University seeks an experienced and accomplished leader with a demonstrated record of innovation and success in financial management who is familiar with the business operations of a nonprofit institution. Successful candidates will provide evidence of effective leadership with a diverse range of constituents, the ability to recruit and manage outstanding personnel, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work collaboratively with other leaders. A familiarity with current accounting and finance tools and principles is essential. The ability to work effectively across divisions and with other University personnel to support and advance the University’s mission is critical. The CFO will be a mission-driven leader committed to supporting the continued growth of Life University.
Specifically, the candidate of choice will demonstrate:
- Core values that align with the mission and values of Life University;
- Competence in aspects of strategic planning, financial analysis, budgeting processes, and accountability, preferably in higher education;
- Experience as an executive leader in a highly complex environment;
- Experience with financial modeling and forecasting;
- The capability to be decisive, make difficult decisions, and execute them effectively;
- Outstanding communication skills with a focus on transparency, coupled with the ability to translate technical and financial information with clarity and care to multiple constituencies;
- A forward-thinking nature with an entrepreneurial and strategic mindset;
- A working understanding of long-term bond commitments;
- Demonstrated ability to develop trust and to operate with fairness, integrity, and diplomacy;
- Experience in supporting governing boards and staffing committees or subgroups on matters of financial analysis and budget management;
- An ability to build relationships internally and externally and to negotiate effectively;
- A capacity to manage a diverse portfolio and both represent and balance the needs of multiple constituencies;
- Technological savvy with an ability to synthesize and use data to make informed decisions;
- Demonstrated strong commitment to diversity and inclusion and to the fostering of a multicultural environment; and
- Leadership qualities that demonstrate high emotional intelligence and active listening skills coupled with a personable and approachable manner.
The review of materials will begin immediately. Application materials should include a résumé and a cover letter outlining interest in the position and relevant administrative experience. All applications and nominations will be treated confidentially. Please send materials to:
Julie E. Tea, Managing Director
Brian Bustin, Senior Associate
For more information on Life University and its programs, please consult its website:
Life University is committed to diversity and encourages the development of multicultural perspectives. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages applications from women, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities. Underrepresented minority and bilingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Life University is a certified drug-free workplace employer. All applicants being considered for employment are required to submit to substance screening as a condition of employment.