Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Assistant Dean for Finance and Administration
The MIT School of Engineering (SoE) seeks an assistant dean for finance and administration to serve as a strategic partner to the dean and collaborate with colleagues on the SOE’s leadership team and in MIT central administration. Will oversee administrative operations, special projects, and priorities, including resource allocation/budgeting, human resources, administration and management, space planning, and monitoring progress of the implementation of plans and initiatives within the SoE.
Responsibilities include providing comprehensive financial analyses; overseeing sponsored research funding administration; researching and analyzing policy and operational issues, developing recommendations, and coordinating and implementing policy decisions; partnering on complex employee relations issues, faculty salary review process, faculty hiring/promotion/retention/renewal, and conflict of interest matters; overseeing all space requests and change proposals; serving on Institute committees; overseeing the implementation of strategic initiatives; and undertaking special projects.
- Ten years of high-level administrative experience in a university
- Proven success overseeing financial management and planning and human resources, facilities, and information technology management
- Excellent interpersonal, active listening, analytical, organizational, problem-solving, and written and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of the operations of complex research universities/organizations
- Good judgment, tact, and discretion with sensitive/confidential matters
- Ability to prioritize, lead, and manage a wide variety of responsibilities in multiple functional areas in a fast-paced, dynamic organization
- Ability to synthesize information from multiple sources and provide succinct and actionable briefing materials and action plans
- Ability to view larger policy concerns while paying attention to details
- Ability to make effective decisions while working independently or collaborating with others
- Ability to implement new and/or interpret existing policies and procedures
- MBA or M.S.
- Knowledge of the operation and culture of academic departments
- Experience working with faculty
Interested candidates may apply online at https://hr.mit.edu/careers. Please reference job number 23321.
Employment is contingent upon the completion of a satisfactory background check.
MIT is an equal employment opportunity employer. We value diversity and strongly encourage applications from individuals from all identities and backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive equitable consideration for employment based on their experience and qualifications, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, or national or ethnic origin. See MIT’s full policy on nondiscrimination.