Meharry Medical College, School of Graduate Studies, seeks to fill the Chair of the Department of Biomedical Sciences with an appointment as a tenured Professor of the department. Reporting to the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies, the Chair is the chief administrative and academic officer who represents the department as a member of the executive leadership team of the graduate school. S/he will work collaboratively with leadership, faculty, students, and staff to support and advance the strategic goals of the College, School, and Department. The Chair provides academic and administrative leadership of the department and serves as a role model to faculty, students, and staff. The Chair creates an environment that maximizes teaching and research excellence; plans, executes, and evaluates program outcomes; and recruits faculty, students, postdoctoral fellows, and research staff of the highest caliber. The School of Graduate Studies seeks applications from distinguished academicians with proven track records in scientific, strategic, and collaborative leadership skills. The chair is expected to elevate collaborations within the department and among departments within the School and across the College. The successful candidate should be a leader committed to the development of the Department as a prominent research unit in the School of Graduate Studies, focusing on extramural grant funding; academic excellence; research outcomes in terms of high-impact publications and IP generation, and makes efforts to ensure inclusivity to support the research, education, and service missions of Meharry Medical College. The Chair is expected to continue an extramurally funded research program. The School seeks applications from outstanding scientists with international reputation, particularly in the fields of or related to cardiovascular disease, cancer or cardio-oncology, metabolic disorders, neuroscience, and/or genetics. Interested applicants are required to provide a curriculum vitae and letter of intent with their application that includes their research statement, teaching philosophy statement, and diversity and inclusion statement.
- Work with faculty, students, and staff to establish and maintain a long-term vision for the department that is consistent with the departmental, school, and college missions
- Serve as a liaison between the department and other units of the institution
- Ensure departmental compliance with school and college rules and regulations
- Oversee curriculum development, revisions and implementation of the curriculum in accordance with emerging trends and accrediting agencies
- Review and assess academic programs offered by the department
- Assess general education outcomes in core courses taught within the department
- Initiate new academic programs and projects when appropriate
- Manage course schedules that serve program and student needs
- Manage course registrations and instructor assignments
- Oversee the department’s fiscal operations; develop and regularly monitor the department budget
- Establishes policies and procedures to guide and support the department
- Anticipates and secures needed resources for the success of the department
- Manage the maintenance of departmental print and electronic records, including websites
- Recruit, appoint, and supervise faculty
- Ensures new faculty have an appropriate onboarding process and orientation
- Evaluate faculty and staff performance and review progress toward promotion and tenure
- Support and oversee the overall development of the department faculty and staff by reviewing CVs and performance documents regularly
- Review faculty and staff grievances within the department in consultation with human resources as necessary
- Oversees mentoring of new and junior faculty for optimal professional development related to research, teaching, scholarship, and service;
- Recruit and retain high caliber students in department programs in collaboration with the department of Admissions and Student Affairs staff
- Supervise Program Directors to coordinate student advising and reviews of degree progress
- Review student academic appeals and grievance
- Maintain an independent funded research lab
- Teach in SOGS courses as needed
- Participate in scholarly activities in the discipline, including mentorship of graduate students
- Other duties as assigned
- The letter of interest should include a scientific vision statement that provides a description of the applicant’s current and future research interests, their strategic vision for the department, and an academic vision statement that addresses the applicant’s experience and perspective on critical issues in graduate education.
- The successful candidate will be expected to conduct a vibrant, externally funded research program and should have an international reputation and track record of success in research. Particular interest will be given to applicants with research experience in cardiovascular physiology, metabolic disorders, or genetics, as well as cancer and neuroscience experience.
- Successful candidates should have prior experience in directing research and educational programs and should have demonstrated leadership qualities commensurate with directing an academic unit.
- Since the Chair has administrative, financial, and operational responsibilities, the successful candidate should have a record of commitment to a culture of institutional stewardship and transparency, equity and inclusion, and efficient and effective business operations.
- Successful candidates should have a commitment to Meharry values, excellent interpersonal and communications skills, and be a strong team player.
- Must have a Doctoral Degree (Ph.D., M.D./Ph.D., Pharm.D., Ed.D., D.O., Dr.P.H. or other equivalent academic doctoral degree) and a record of scholarship commensurate with appointment as a tenured Professor of the Department of Biomedical Sciences.
- Five years of experience in teaching and academic leadership experience in a medical education setting.
- Experience training graduate students
At Meharry, we’re pleased to offer comprehensive, competitive benefits to eligible employees and their eligible dependents. From health care to holidays, our aim is to help employees enjoy happy and healthy lifestyles, while maintaining a good work-life balance.
Meharry’s benefits package includes:
- 403(b) plan and supplemental annuity plan
- Accidental death and dismemberment
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability
- Short-term disability
- Other supplemental coverage
Our vacation benefits vary with length and type of service. We grant twelve (12) paid holidays. Meharry Medical College’s benefits package is designed to offer flexibility and variety of choice. All full time staff working 32 or more hours per week are eligible for benefits. Select benefits are available for part-time positions.
Meharry strives to offer their employees a professional environment in which they can both work and build a career. As part of this effort, we offer a tuition reimbursement program and professional development training to assist you with your career path.
How to apply:
- Visit https://jobs.silkroad.com/MMC/Careers/jobs/1824 to find the job posting
- Scroll down and select Apply
For Further Information or Questions regarding this role, you may contact Meharry’s Talent Acquisition Specialist below.
Jouvie Henderson (she, her, hers)