Academic Program Coordinator, Intermediate (Phoenix Biomedical)
Location: CHHS-Phoenix Biomedical Campus
Job ID: 607509
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
NAU aims to be the nation’s preeminent engine of opportunity, vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and beyond.
- This position will be based in Phoenix, Arizona. Incumbent stationed at the Phoenix Biomedical campus in downtown Phoenix, Arizona.
The College of Health and Human Services (CHHS) at NAU is seeking an Academic Program Coordinator, Intermediate to support its graduate programs located within the Phoenix Biomedical Campus (PBC) in the Health Sciences Education Building (HSEB) in downtown Phoenix. PBC is a 30-acre medical and bioscience campus boasting more than six million square feet of research, academic, and clinical facilities for students earning advanced degrees in medical professions. As part of a partnership between Northern Arizona University (NAU) and the University of Arizona (UofA), the PBC campus is an interdisciplinary facility where students in all medical fields train side-by-side in healthcare programs.
This position reports to the PBC Associate Dean and will assist with staff and financial oversight of PBC programs, coordinate shared facility use with representatives from UofA, and support the Dean’s Office. The academic program coordinator will supervise the part-time administrative support staff and/or student employees and coordinate day-to-day facility use.
Program Administration and Operations – 45%
- Provide support for CHHS Dean. Collaborate with project managers assigned by the Dean to Dean’s Office Leadership and track/report progress to the Dean and Leadership. Maintain strategic and action plans and update and monitor tracking system.
- Develop recommendations and execute strategies to improve efficiency and service while applying knowledge of CHHS programs, operations and administrative policies and procedures.
- Supervise, hire, and train part-time support staff that manage the reception desk and tours.
- Coordinate day-to-day collaborative interactions with the University of Arizona College of Medicine personnel with regard to shared non-academic facility use, operating policies, and procedures.
- Serve on campus and college committees representing NAU as needed (e.g. RFP for services, Emergency Operations Committee (EOC), Building Manager’s meeting, LAC, CHHS Dean’s Office Leadership Touch Base, etc.).
- Coordinate college-wide special events held by NAU at the PBC and statewide campuses, i.e. New Student Orientation, Open House, Homecoming, etc.
- Organize campus tours, special events.
- Organize and lead monthly meetings with administrative program staff.
Executive Support – 25%
- Provide general support for PBC Associate Dean including calendar management, meeting and event preparation, draft communications, manage reimbursements.
- Liaise with the CHHS Dean’s Office in Flagstaff to ensure maximum efficiency and communication between the main campus and academic programs located at the PBC and statewide campuses.
- Develop agendas for and coordinate meetings as needed.
Financial Support and Services – 15%
- Purchase supplies for Associate Dean’s Office.
- Manage and reconcile Purchasing Card in accordance with University Policy.
- Coordinate shared services and process payment and contracts for these services (copy machines, ExamSoft, phone bills, and all UA invoices, etc.) for programs at PBC.
- Liaise with the Finance Team on the annual PBC MOU.
Community Health Mentor Program and Student Initiatives – 10%
- Manage the logistics, operations, and communications in partnership with the University of Arizona Program Coordinator for the Community Health Mentor Program (CHMP), an interprofessional development experience with external community mentors.
Other – 5%
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in field appropriate to area of assignment AND 2-4 years of relevant experience.
- A combination of related education, experience and training may be used as an equivalent to the above Minimum Requirements.
- Experience working with university and college stakeholders, including but not limited to, faculty, students, university administrators, and community health agencies.
- Experience in project management.
- Experience with budget management, writing, editing, and report preparation.
- Experience with management of student files.
- Familiar with use of databases.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of budgeting and accounting principles
- Knowledge of organizational practices
- Skill in organizing work of self and others
- Skilled in creativity, dependability and teamwork.
- Strong communication skills, and ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment
- Ability to show and take initiative.
- Ability to problem solve and make decisions; demonstrated analytical skills
- Ability to prioritize workload to meet overall operation needs
- Ability to work effectively with people from a variety of diverse backgrounds
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting. If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees’ right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Anticipated salary range is $41,421-$51,776. Annual salary commensurate with candidate’s qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU’s BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee’s start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
November 20, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the “Apply” button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the “Submit” button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus – on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact the Disability Resources Office at 928-523-8773, DR@nau.edu, or PO Box 5633, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.