National Defense University (NDU) supports the joint warfighter by providing rigorous Joint Professional Military Education to members of the U.S. Armed Forces and select others in order to develop leaders who have the ability to operate and creatively think in an unpredictable and complex world.
The Director of Institutional Research, Assessment, and Planning oversees the collection, analysis and dissemination of institutional data to campus constituencies and external agencies in support of the University’s strategic planning, enrollment management and decision-making activities. The incumbent performs student outcomes assessment research and conducts studies of institutional effectiveness, campus climate, and student satisfaction. Serves as the primary advisor to the Provost/Vice President of Academic Affairs and the Associate Provost for Educational Innovation and Institutional Effectiveness, on institutional research and assessment for the University.Directs the administration of the University student information system and assessment technologies.
- RESEARCH: Directs and coordinates institutional research services with various campus leaders, components and stakeholders; ensuring the integrity and validity of institution-wide data provided in support of policy- and decision-making for all areas of the University; maintaining/fulfilling the Institutional Research monthly reporting activities calendar.
- PLANNING: Thorough knowledge of empirical research principles and techniques and skill in their application; good working knowledge of statistical methods; ability to plan, organize, and conduct major administrative and analytical studies; ability to draw conclusions and develop recommendations; and the ability to clearly communicate research findings orally and in written reports.
- ASSESSMENT: Leads review of University’s institutional effectiveness and compliance with institutional accreditation (MSCHE) requirements; provides support for academic program review, new program development, outcomes assessment, accountability reports, accreditation, surveys and focus groups. Oversees and develops policies for the Student Information System (both legacy and new), academic assessment tools, and survey instruments.
- LEADERSHIP: Leads, mentors, and supervises staff in the institutional research, division. The Director of Institutional Research will chair the University Institutional Research working group. Develops and implements institutional research and assessment policies in coordination with University components.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Permanent Resident.
- Position is covered under 10 USC 1595 and governed by NDU regulation 694-4.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.
- Occasional travel is required.
- Doctoral degree required, preferably in a field such as education, social sciences, policy analysis, or planning with an emphasis on educational assessment or applied quantitative methods and statistics from an accredited college or university.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in a higher education leadership in organizational innovation and institutional collaboration; experience collaborating with faculty and senior leaders across an institution; ability to lead teams and create a culture of collegiality in pursuit of institutional and academic excellence.
- Experience conducting and analyzing data that measure academic and professional development in graduate-level educational programs. Experience both with short-term and long-term data collection, and evaluation of student performance both during the academic program and following graduation.
- Experience developing, assessing, monitoring, and updating a strategic planning process and regional accreditation self studies and accreditation at a component of an accredited college or at a university.
- Proficiency with software applications for data and statistical analysis, surveys, etc; experience using applications in an accredited higher education institution.
- Experience in a Department of Institutional Research at an accredited academic institution.
- Experience in interacting effectively with high-level government professionals, senior executives, leaders and military officers.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills, and can provide valuable training and experience that translates to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Education Requirement: A Doctoral degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
Official transcripts will be required at time of selection to verify educational requirements are met.
NDU has a comprehensive benefits package that includes retirement, social security, and thrift savings; health, life, and long term care insurance; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays. NDU employees enjoy flexible work schedules, transit subsidy, and the opportunity to telecommute.
Background or Security Investigation: This is a Noncritical sensitive position which requires a background investigation. The individual selected for this position is required to obtain and maintain a Secret security determination to occupy a Noncritical sensitive position within the agency as a condition of employment.
Initial Probationary Period: You will be required to serve an initial probationary period of 18 months.
Supervisory Probationary Period: You will be required to serve an supervisory probationary period of one year if one has not already been completed.
Reemployed Annuitants: Department of Defense has the authority to hire annuitants without reduction in pay. For more information, go to: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/1400.25-V300.pdf
All applicants are encouraged to apply electronically. If you are unable to apply on-line, you may contact 317-212-4434 for assistance.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
To qualify, you must meet the education and experience requirements described above. An NDU screening panel will review your resume and cover letter to evaluate your qualifications for the position. NDU uses a multi-tier selection process for academic positions.
You MUST upload a cover letter, separate from your resume, no more than 2 pages long, addressing the following hiring criteria:
Factor 1: Describe your experience collaborating with faculty and senior leaders across an institution.
Factor 2: Describe your experience conducting and analyzing data that measures academic and professional development in graduate-level educational programs.
Factor 3: Describe your experience developing, assessing, monitoring, and updating a strategic planning process and regional accreditation self-studies and accreditation at a component of an accredited college or at a university.
Factor 4: Describe your experience/proficiency with software applications for data and statistical analysis, surveys, etc.
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Resume: The latest resume submitted will be used to determine qualifications. All conferred degrees and certifications should be included in your resume for full consideration
- Complete Assessment Questionnaire
- Cover letter with narrative responses answering hiring criteria questions listed in the “How you will be evaluated” section of this announcement. Failure to submit will result in an ineligible rating.
- Other Supporting Documents – Refer to the eligibilities section for documents to submit.
NOTE: Transcripts are not required at time of application submission. Your resume and narrative answers to the hiring criteria will be reviewed by the NDU screening panel to evaluate your qualifications for the position. If selected for an interview, official transcripts will be requested at that time to verify educational requirements are met.
Eligibilities Information: The following supporting documents are REQUIRED to verify your individual eligibility status. Not all will apply for each applicant. They MUST be received by the closing date of the announcement.
- SF-50 – (If applicable) Notification of Personnel Action for current or former federal employees- with the exception of current permanent NDU employees, please provide your most recent SF50 or the SF50 reflecting Career/Career-Conditional tenure and the highest grade held on a permanent basis.
- If you claim Veteran’s Preference:
– You must submit a copy of your DD Form-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”, showing the dates of active duty service, type of discharge and the character of service. Alternatively, If you are a current military member in active duty service and do not have a copy of your DD Form-214, you must submit a written documentation (certification) from your branch of service certifying that you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions no later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted with your application for this position. The certification should also include your rank, dates of active duty service and what they condition of discharge is thought to be.
– If claiming 10-point preference and/or are a 30% or more Disabled Veteran, you must submit both a DD Form-214 or expected discharge documentation as described above AND a copy of a letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) or your branch of service certifying the presence of service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of disability
– If you are claiming eligibility based on 10-point derived veterans’ preference (i.e. a spouse, widow/widower, or parent of a veteran claiming veterans’ preference when the veteran is unable to use it), you must also submit a Standard Form 15 (SF-15) “Application for 10-Point Veteran’s Preference” and any required documents indicated on the SF-15 to substantiate the claimed preference.
- Other documents identified in the announcement.
WARNING: Failure to submit a complete application package including any required documentation by the closing date of the announcement at 11:59 EST, or at the time of application for announcements with an extended closing date, may result in an ineligible rating and loss of consideration. To verify that your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select Application Status and More Information. The Details page will display the status of your application.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to verify that information entered or uploaded is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
Apply Now: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/741492700