Faculty and Chair, Department of General Dentistry
Full or Part Time
Position Summary Information
The Bitonte College of Dentistry (BCOD) at Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED) seeks an outstanding leader to be the Inaugural Chair of the Department of General Dentistry , the College’s largest academic department involved in the implementation of the Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) curriculum.
This is a full-time tenured or tenure-track appointment at either the associate professor or professor rank. The incumbent is responsible for implementation and integration of the predoctoral curriculum, departmental administration, strategic planning, resource management, and fostering development of faculty. The successful applicant is expected to provide strong leadership and direct involvement in the department’s didactic and clinical education, research, and service missions.
Northeast Ohio Medical University is an AA/EEO Employer. The university has a strong commitment to the principles of diversity and inclusion and to maintaining working and learning environments that are free from all forms of discrimination. Women, individuals with disabilities, veterans and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and faculty rank
Location: Rootstown, OH
Benefits Offerings Include:
– Hybrid Workplace (Up to two days remote after 6 months; Policy Number: 3349-7-151)
– Training Offerings, including LSS Green & Yellow Belt and other professional development
– Competitive Health, Vision, Dental
– Flexible Spending Account
– State Retirement with 14% matching
– Excellent Vacation and Sick Time
– 11 Paid Holiday Days
– Wellness Offerings
– Short and Long Term Disability Coverage
– Long Term Care Coverage Offerings
– Life Insurance
For additional details visit: https://www.neomed.edu/hr/benefits/
Principal Functional Responsibilities
Administrative: Will be responsible for the daily operations and long-term vision of the department. This will include hiring/annual reviews of faculty, budget preparation and management, allocation of faculty effort to meet teaching, service and research needs, oversight of quality of faculty teaching, faculty mentorship, plan and foster a growing research program. Must possess excellent organizational skills, ability to manage multiple tasks, effectively present information to individuals at all levels, strong oral and written communication skills that are directed to faculty, staff, and students. Will ensure that all activities are compliant with CODA standards.
Teaching: Provide leadership in the development, assessment and rollout of the new predoctoral (DDS) dental curriculum. This will include working with faculty and staff on course and syllabus development for classroom, preclinical simulation, and clinical learning, content delivery, and continuous quality improvement, The Chair will have extensive and direct teaching responsibilities.
Research: Provide guidance on the development, planning, and growth of a research program for the department. Enhance the resources of the department through grant writing and fund-raising initiatives.
Service: Active participation on college and university committees will be required and assigned. In addition, membership and participation in state and national professional dental organizations is strongly encouraged.
• DDS/DMD or equivalent.
• Qualified to be appointed as an associate or full professor.
• Must be eligible for licensure in the state of Ohio for a Dentist License or a Limited DentalTeaching License.
• Must have prior academic administrative experience.
• Prior faculty appointment/teaching experience in restorative dentistry and/or prosthodontics and/or comprehensive care. General dentists or prosthodontists are both eligible to apply.
• Must have teaching experience in a dental school at the predoctoral level.
Key Skills, Personal Characteristics, and Key Competencies
• Leadership: NEOMED creates positive change by educating and training Ohio’s next generation of health professionals, educators and researchers through experiential learning, high-impact research, strategic partnerships and innovation. By designing an environment where ideas and connections can flourish, NEOMED is transforming health care.
• Exceptional Experience: By creating a welcoming, supportive and well-resourced environment, NEOMED sets the stage for meaningful interactions among its students, faculty, staff, alumni, partners and community members. The University empowers every individual to participate fully in the campus experience and the community that NEOMED serves.
• Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: NEOMED recognizes, appreciates and celebrates all of the ways-from backgrounds to viewpoints-that people are different. The University’s culture is grounded in respect and thrives on the uniqueness of each individual. NEOMED encourages everyone’s participation by fostering policies and practices that ensure fair and just access, treatment and opportunities for all.
• People: Talent is NEOMED’s most valuable asset. The University invests in developing its faculty and staff to realize their fullest potential. As it works to attract and retain a diverse workforce and student body, NEOMED embraces opportunity and growth across all levels of the institution.
• Talent Management: NEOMED leadership strives to align department and individual talent management efforts with the university strategic plan and objectives through workforce planning, recruiting the right talent onboard and helping develop employees to their optimal potential and capabilities.
• Operational Excellence: NEOMED will create a culture of operational excellence by establishing clear administrative practices and eliminating waste. Leaders strive to meet customer expectations through a continuous improvement of the operational processes and creating a culture of employee empowerment to achieve objectives.
• Teaching Experience and Expertise: Experienced dental educator with experience in curriculum and course development and implementation. Able to direct the teaching mission of the department. Interested in educational innovation and up to date on contemporary educational approaches. Openness to new educational approaches.
• Accreditation Knowledge and Experience: Knowledge of, and experience with, accreditation of predoctoral dental education programs by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA). Able to collaborate with college administration to ensure ongoing compliance with CODA standards.
• Contemporary Digital Technologies: Knowledge/experience in digital dentistry. Ability to ensure implementation of digital dentistry in the curriculum.
• Research and Scholarship: Track record of research/scholarship. Able to direct the research/scholarship mission of the department and mentor faculty.
• Collaborative: Can work collaboratively with administrators, faculty, staff, and students at the college and the university.
• Humanistic Environment: Is committed to building a humanistic culture/climate within the college and to fostering student success.
Must be able to utilize a phone, computer and screen and other office equipment. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk, or hear and occasionally stand, walk, reach, stoop or kneel. Must be able to occasionally lift up to 25 pounds.
Posting Detail Information
NEOMED EEO Statement
NEOMED is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, status as a parent during pregnancy and immediately after the birth of a child, status as a parent of a young child, status as a foster parent, veteran status or any other category protected by applicable state or federal law. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, NEOMED also affirms its commitment to nondiscrimination in its employment policies and practices. In compliance with Title IX (20 U.S.C Sec. 1681 et seq.), NEOMED prohibits sex discrimination, including sexual harassment.
For concerns regarding discrimination, please contact:
Title IX Coordinator
Northeast Ohio Medical University
NEOMED requests that you provide the voluntary information requested below. It will be kept separate from your application, in a confidential and limited access file, to be used for statistical compilation and analysis for Human Resources record keeping and reporting purposes. Your response will not be used in any way to determine your eligibility for employment. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
Notification of Annual Security Report.
The Northeast Ohio Medical University is committed to assisting all members of the NEOMED community in providing for their own safety and security. The annual security report is available on the NEOMED website at https://www.neomed.edu/police/clery-act/annual-report/.
The annual security report contains information regarding campus security and personal safety including topics such as: crime prevention, authority of university police and security officers, crime reporting policies, and other matters of importance related to security and safety on campus.
Additionally, the report contains information about crime statistics for the three previous calendar years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by NEOMED; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus.
If you would like a paper copy of this report, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Department of Public Safety at 330.325.5911 to request a copy.
This information is required by law and is provided by the Northeast Ohio Medical University Department of Public Safety.
To Apply, visit: