Associate Dean for Academic Programs
Job No: 531026
Work Type: Management (MPP)
Categories: MPP, Administrative, At-Will, Full Time, On-site (work in-person at business location)
Working Title: Associate Dean of Academic Programs, College of Business
Classification Title: Administrator III
Priority Application Date (Posting will remain open until filled): Sunday, November 5, 2023 @ 11:55pm PT
Anticipated appointment: July 1, 2024
The Associate Dean for Academic Programs (ADAP) is responsible for the overall quality and success of undergraduate and graduate programs in the College of Business (COB), including CCE supported programs. This individual, the Associate Dean for Faculty and Support (ADFS), and the Executive Director of Graduate Programs (EDGP) are key members of the administrative leadership team of the College of Business and report directly to the Dean. The ADAP works in tandem with the ADFS and the EDGP, as a member of the senior COB leadership team, and reports to, and may at times act as the designee of, the Dean.
The ADAP works to create and maintain innovative and impactful business programs that align with the COB mission and strategic direction. The COB’s priorities include but are not limited to technology, innovation, and impact with a focus on teaching effectiveness, academic excellence, and operational efficiency. The incumbent will be responsible for overseeing operational leadership to promote excellence in all phases of the COB’s academic activities in compliance with University policy and accreditation standards. Aligned with the COB vision and strategy, this role requires collaborative work with Department Chairs, program directors, and faculty to ensure that programs address market trends and create local and global engagement.
This position is expected to support Sacramento State’s Mission & Imperatives: https://www.csus.edu/president/mission-imperatives/
- Learning & Student Success
- Teaching, Research, Scholarship, & Creative Activity
- Justice, Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Belonging
- Resource Development & Sustainability
- Dedicated Community Involvement
- Wellness & Safety
FLSA: MPP – This position is defined in the Management Personnel Plan (MPP) of the California State University. It is excluded from the collective bargaining process and is exempt from overtime provisions of FLSA. This position is covered by health benefits.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $12,500 per month ($150,000 annually) – $13,750 per month ($165,000 annually) commensurate with candidate’s education, experience, skills, and training
CSU Classification Salary Range: $6,250 per month – $20,063 per month
Best-in-class Benefits: Click here to learn more
CSU Total Compensation: Click here to learn more
Recruitment Type: Regular (At-Will)
Time Base: Full-Time
Pay Plan: 12 months
Work Hours: Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm; occasional weekends and evening hours will be required
The California State University, Sacramento – College of Business (COB) develops engaged, responsible, and inclusive leaders that enrich communities around the world. The Faculty in the COB are committed to providing the highest quality of education and serving as resources to its students. The COB is also committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all its activities. Founded in 1947, the COB offers six graduate degrees and one undergraduate degree. The COB has been accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the world leader in business school accreditation and a hallmark of excellence achieved by only 5% of colleges worldwide, since 1963. The COB is located in California’s vibrant capital city, Sacramento.
Sacramento is one of the most diverse cities in the country that boasts a Mediterranean climate with an average of 265 days of sunshine a year. Foodies love the fresh ingredients and inspired dishes of the local Farm-to-Fork movement, outdoorsy types float on the two great rivers or hike along the American River Parkway, cultural connoisseurs embrace the city’s bustling nightlife and arts events. Sacramento is also located within two hours of San Francisco, Napa Valley, and Lake Tahoe. http://www.csus.edu/cob/
- Doctorate in Business related discipline from an AACSB or EQUIS or AMBA accredited business program.
- A strong record of accomplishment in the areas of teaching, research, and service that would merit appointment as a Full Professor in one academic Department of the College of Business;
- Three years of experience in the role of department chair, or a comparable position;
- Experience with budget management (e.g. budget allocations);
- Experience building and staffing academic schedules that meet the needs of undergraduate and graduate students – including CCE supported programs;
- Extensive experience with curriculum development endeavors;
- Extensive experience with assessment;
- Experience with technology-supported teaching environments and pedagogical approaches (e.g., co-located classrooms, ‘flipping’ the classroom, online education, etc.);
- Experience working with other academic units to assure effective utilization of faculty and staff resources to meet student needs;
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity; and experience in working within an ethnically and culturally diverse academic community;
- Evidence of ability to determine priorities, effectively manage multiple projects, and set and meet deadlines;
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and implement creative solutions to complex problems or challenges;
- Evidence of promoting scholarly excellence through service, mentorship, or similar activities;
- Evidence of advanced interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish, maintain, and model effective working relationships with various constituencies including faculty, students, and staff within and across the university;
- Demonstrated record of high quality written and oral communication for varied audiences;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a shared governance environment or similar organizational setting
- Knowledge of the most recent AACSB standards and reaffirmation of accreditation processes or other accreditation processes
- Experience working in the collective bargaining environment
- Experience working on a large, urban university or college campus
- Record of significant and successful involvement and leadership in college and university organizations
- Experience with International programs and international students
- Experience with managing programs at geographically dispersed campuses (e.g., satellite campuses)
Documents Needed to Apply
2) Cover letter
3) Diversity statement. Prompt: In a diversity statement that is 500 words long, please discuss contributions that demonstrate your commitment to promoting an inclusive environment and how you use inclusive pedagogy to promote students’ access to equal educational opportunity.
Failure to upload required documentation may result in disqualification.
As part of the recruitment process, you may be required to prepare and give a 15-minute presentation to the committee. Details and instructions will be provided at the appropriate time.
About Sac State
Sacramento State is located in the heart of California’s capital city, five miles from State Capitol. The lush, 300-acre campus is situated along the American River, close to numerous bike trails and other recreational areas. Sacramento, also known as the “Farm-to-Fork Capital,” is one of the most ethnically diverse and livable cities in the country, with a population of half of a million. Sacramento State’s 31,000 students come not only from the Greater Sacramento Region, but also from across the state, country, and world. Our 1800 faculty and 1,500 staff are committed to meeting our mission: “As California’s capital university, we transform lives by preparing students for leadership, service, and success. Sacramento State will be a recognized leader in education, innovation, and engagement.” As the regional hub of higher education, Sac State is dedicated to student success, diversity, equity and inclusion, community engagement, philanthropy, and campus safety.
As evidenced by the values embedded in our Hornet Honor Code, Sacramento State is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all faculty, staff, students, and guests are welcome and valued. Our commitment is more than simply ensuring that our campus is free from bias and discrimination, but is one devoted to celebrating many diverse identities, life experiences, and perspectives that enrich our community, teaching and learning.
To learn more about why you should join the Hornet Family, please visit the Why Sac State? page.
Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position. One variation of background check required could be a LiveScan screening, which involves submitting fingerprints at a certified LiveScan Service Center.
COVID-19 Vaccine Certification Information:
Per the CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, it is strongly recommended that all California State University, Sacramento employees who are accessing office and campus facilities follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications.
Out of State Employment Policy
Sacramento State University, as part of the CSU system, is a State of California Employer. As such, the University requires all employees (up)on date of hire to reside in the State of California.
As of January 1, 2022 the CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy prohibits the hiring of employees to perform CSU-related work outside the state of California.
CSU Telecommuting Program
Sacramento State is participating in the CSU Telecommuting Program. The opt-in program is available for positions within the Management Personnel Plan (MPP), Academic Professionals of California (APC) union, or California State University Employees Union (CSUEU). All CSU employees, regardless of telecommuting status, must still comply with the CSU’s Out of State Employment Policy.
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit https://www.csus.edu/administration-business-affairs/human-resources/benefits/reasonable-accomodation.html
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit https://www.csus.edu/administration-business-affairs/human-resources/organizational-learning-development/csu-learn.html
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the current Annual Security Report (ASR) is available for viewing at https://www.csus.edu/clery .
The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and sexual assault prevention information, and drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery Act crimes for Sacramento State for the last three (3) calendar years. Paper copies are available upon request at the Police Service Center located in the University Union.
Selected candidate must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the United States. California State University, Sacramento is not a sponsoring agency for staff and management positions (i.e. H-1-B Visa).
Note to Applicants:
Possession of the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an interview unless required by collective bargaining agreement.
Advertised: October 05, 2023 (12:45 PM)
Applications Closes: Open Until Filled