About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany’s broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research, and public service engages a diverse student body of approximately 17,000 students in nine schools and colleges across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State’s capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City, and the Adirondacks.
Information Technology Services (ITS) at the University at Albany seeks applicants for an AI Developer/Analyst. The successful candidate works closely with the research community across a wide range of disciplines to deliver analytical and computational IT solutions in a complex R1 university environment. Reporting to the Research Technology Manager, the AI Developer/Analyst will play a key role in advancing the AI technology environment in concert with UAlbany’s current AI initiative, expanding the portfolio of AI services available to researchers.
This is an exciting time for research at UAlbany. ITS currently supports research-related technologies, from pre-grant technology advice to managing systems and equipment for the duration of projects. Additionally, the University recently announced a $200M Albany AI Initiative and the UAlbany Healthy Aging Initiative, both of which are expected to enhance the University’s reputation as a leader in these groundbreaking fields. The Research Technology Analyst will play a critical role in supporting these and other innovative research endeavors.
The AI Developer/Analyst will provide advanced support for AI and Machine Learning related data analytics/statistics, visualization, and computational technologies for a range of applications in the research setting. The AI Developer/Analyst is intellectually curious, creative and enjoys working with others to identify ways that sophisticated technologies can be used to solve complex problems. She/He/They are comfortable working with interdisciplinary audiences, both independently and as part of a team. This is an excellent opportunity for seasoned professionals to further evolve their expertise.
- Delivering analytical and computational IT solutions to the academic and research community
- Provide advanced support for AI and Machine Learning related data analytics/statistics, visualization, and computational technologies for a range of applications in a research setting
- Implement and support research applications and scientific computing environments such as Jupyterhub and Rstudio
- Maintain the security posture for assigned systems and applications in accordance with ITS policies, procedures, and industry best practices.
- Participate in the development and maintenance of research systems standards
- Managing relationships/advocating on behalf of the research community
- Foster and maintain communication with researchers of the University and with others in ITS regarding service planning and delivery
- Provide and support the development of the technical skillset of researchers
- Apply UAlbany’s IT guiding principles, strategic goals, architecture governance, procedures, and policies when developing and implementing research technology offerings and solutions.
- Be available to provide scheduled support and consultation outside normal business hours, including occasional evenings, holidays, or weekends, within reasonable professional obligation and expectation.
- Bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization
- A minimum of 1 year of experience in AI/ML or a related field
- Familiarity with the command line interface (CLI), high performance computing, and related job schedulers
- Experience with scalable or parallel programming in an AI environment
- Experience (re)training systems as needed
- Experience with AI workflows including Natural Language Processing (NLP) methodologies
- Experience troubleshooting/optimizing scripting languages such as Python
- Experience with scientific software packages and environments
- Applicants must demonstrate an ability to develop inclusive and equitable relationships within our diverse campus community
- Applicants must demonstrate an ability to support diversity, equity, access, inclusion, and belonging relative to their role
- M.S. degree from a college or University accredited by a U.S. Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization, preferably in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems, Quantitative Social Sciences, or related STEM field
- Demonstrated understanding of statistical hypothesis testing and experimental design, data visualization techniques and tools in AI
- Academic or professional experience using AI methodologies
- Demonstrated interest or experience in facilitating user-based software applications that enable research or instructional activities (e.g., statistical software such as R, Python or commercial software products (such as NVIDIA Base Command), and associated data visualization technologies)
- Experience with cloud platforms like AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure, and deploying AI models on these platforms
- Familiarity with fundamentals of data management, preservation, and reproducibility
Professional Rank and Salary Range: Associate for University Systems Analysis, SL5; $120,000-130,000.
Special Notes: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. This position has the potential for telecommuting up to 50%.
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish, and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the University’s crime statistics for the past three years; and disclosures regarding the University’s current campus security policies. The University at Albany’s Annual Security Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
Pursuant to NYS Labor Law 194-A, no State entity, as defined by the Law, is permitted to rely on, orally or in writing seek, request, or require in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current wage, or salary history as a condition to be interviewed, or as a condition of continuing to be considered for an offer of employment, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation, and for the purpose of verifying information, may such requests be made. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA EMPLOYER
Please apply online via https://albany.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=167905
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- Cover letter stating all the required minimum qualifications and any of the applicable preferred qualifications
- Contact information for three professional references
Note: After submitting your resume/CV, the subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).