About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany’s broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and public service engages a diverse student body of approximately 17,000 students in nine schools and colleges across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State’s capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the Adirondacks.
Information Technology Services (ITS) at the University at Albany seeks applicants for a Data Storage Engineer to support the academic, research, and business needs of this vibrant institution. The successful candidate has the technical knowledge and intellectual curiosity to build complex storage environments for a wide variety of disciplines and departments. She/He/They have keen analytical skills and are driven to solve problems and acquire new knowledge to inform and build a storage environment commensurate with the needs of a public research university.
As part of a group of IT professionals, the Data Storage Engineer plays a key role in design, maintenance, and development of storage infrastructure systems to provide secure and robust solutions. She/He/They are adept at working in physical and virtual environments and on-premises and cloud based applications.
The Data Storage Engineer collaborates across ITS, providing input and expertise to a range of services such as email, web, identity and access management, teaching and learning, and research and advanced computing.
- Provide day-to-day operational ownership for assigned Storage platforms, including patching, upgrading, configuration management, system backups, continuous monitoring, and performance management.
- Design and implement data storage and management systems to support the university’s research and administrative needs.
- Manage and maintain the performance, availability, and security of the university’s data storage infrastructure, including on-premises and cloud-based solutions.
- Develop and implement disaster recovery plans to ensure data is protected against loss or corruption.
- Actively seek, design, implement, and support automations and systems that increase throughput and decrease operational expense, including cloud automation tools.
- Provide technical support and expertise to faculty, staff, and students for data storage-related issues, including AI data shaping.
- Work with other IT professionals to ensure that data storage systems are integrated with other university systems and platforms.
- Document system configurations, procedures, and policies to ensure that knowledge is shared among the team.
- Contribute to the development of architectural blueprints, templates, tools, system standards, operational procedures, and technical roadmaps.
- Maintain subject matter expertise by staying current with industry trends and following a professional development plan.
- Effectively and proactively communicate with peers, researchers, and management.
- Be available to provide scheduled support and consultation outside normal business hours, including occasional evenings, holidays, or weekends, within reasonable professional obligations and expectations.
- A bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education (DOE) or internationally recognized accrediting organization.
- Demonstrated experience with data storage technologies and protocols such as iSCSI, NFS, SMB, SAN, NAS, object storage, and cloud storage.
- Knowledge of data management and backup solutions.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven design, planning, and implementation experience with infrastructure components, including Linux servers, storage, and network.
- Applicants must demonstrate an ability to develop inclusive and equitable relationships within our diverse campus community.
- Applicants must demonstrate an ability to support diversity, equity, access, inclusion, and belonging relative to their role.
- Cloud certification such as AWS, Azure, or similar.
- Experience with cloud architecture.
- Experience administering enterprise networking.
- Experience with automated deployment and configuration management solutions such as Ansible.
- Experience with centralized logging/log aggregation tools such as Splunk.
Special Notes: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. This position has the potential for telecommuting up to 50%.
Professional Rank and Salary Range: Senior Programmer Analyst, SL4; $100,000-105,000.
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the University’s crime statistics for the past three years; and disclosures regarding the University’s current campus security policies. The University at Albany’s Annual Security Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
Pursuant to NYS Labor Law 194-A, no State entity, as defined by the Law, is permitted to rely on, orally or in writing seek, request, or require in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current wage, or salary history as a condition to be interviewed, or as a condition of continuing to be considered for an offer of employment, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation, and for the purpose of verifying information, may such requests be made. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA EMPLOYER
Please apply online via https://albany.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=166939
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- Cover letter stating all the required minimum qualifications and any of the applicable preferred qualifications
- Contact information for three professional references
Note: After submitting your resume, the subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).
This posting will remain open until the position is filled.