About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany’s broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research, and public service engages a diverse student body of approximately 17,000 students in nine schools and colleges across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State’s capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City, and the Adirondacks.
Information Technology Services (ITS) at the University at Albany seeks applicants for a Database Administrator to support the academic, research, and business needs of this vibrant institution. The successful candidate has the technical knowledge and intellectual curiosity to design, build, and operate databases for a wide variety of applications and services. She/He/They have keen analytical skills and are driven to solve problems and acquire new knowledge to inform and build database solutions commensurate with the needs of a public research university.
As a senior member of a group of IT professionals, the Database Administrator plays a key role in developing and implementing standards, procedures, and controls that ensure the security, reliability, and availability of database solutions to provide robust databases for applications and services. She/He/They are responsible for assuring that the University’s database deployments follow industry standards and best practices, meet regulatory requirements, and meet the evolving needs of the campus community.
The Database Administrator collaborates across ITS, providing input and expertise to a range of services.
- Provide day-to-day operational ownership for assigned databases, including patching, upgrading, configuration management, database backups, continuous monitoring, and performance management.
- Develop, implement, and document standards, procedures, and controls for architectural design, build/configuration, and operation of databases.
- Ensure security, reliability, and availability of databases.
- Maintain the security posture for databases in accordance with industry best practices and ITS Chief Information Security Officer and Identity & Access Management policies and procedures.
- Provide subject matter expertise for database technologies by staying current with industry trends, developing and following a professional development plan, and regularly sharing knowledge with ITS stakeholders.
- Analyze and design databases to meet assigned project and operational requirements.
- Provide automated solutions that increase throughput and decrease operational expenses for the deployment and operation of databases.
- Effectively and proactively communicate and collaborate with peers and management.
- Be available to provide scheduled support and consultation outside normal business hours, including occasional evenings, holidays, or weekends, within reasonable professional obligations and expectations.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. Five (5) years of relevant experience may be substituted for the degree requirement.
- Applicants must address their ability to work with a culturally diverse population in their application or during the interview.
- At least one (1) year of experience in Oracle database administration.
- Experience managing multiple RDBMSs for enterprise applications.
- Deep understanding of database architecture and its implementation in real-world applications.
- Experience in performance tuning, backup, and recovery.
- Applicants must demonstrate an ability to develop inclusive and equitable relationships within our diverse campus community.
- Applicants must demonstrate an ability to support diversity, equity, access, inclusion, and belonging relative to their role.
- At least three (3) years of experience designing, building, and operating Oracle databases.
- Oracle Certified Professional (OCP) certification.
- Proficiency in PL/SQL.
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python and PERL.
- Experience operating databases in a Linux environment.
- Experience hosting databases in cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, Oracle Cloud, or similar.
Professional Rank and Salary Range: Senior Programmer/Analyst, SL4; $105,000-115,000.
Special Notes: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. This position has the potential for telecommuting up to 50%.
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the University’s crime statistics for the past three years; and disclosures regarding the University’s current campus security policies. The University at Albany’s Annual Security Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
Pursuant to NYS Labor Law 194-A, no State entity, as defined by the Law, is permitted to rely on, orally or in writing seek, request, or require in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current wage, or salary history as a condition to be interviewed, or as a condition of continuing to be considered for an offer of employment, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation, and for the purpose of verifying information, may such requests be made. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA EMPLOYER
Please apply online via https://albany.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=169226
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- Cover letter stating all the required minimum qualifications and any of the applicable preferred qualifications
- Contact information for three professional references
Note: After submitting your resume, the subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).
Closing date for receipt of applications: This position will remain open until filled.