About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany’s broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and public service engages a diverse student body of approximately 17,000 students in nine schools and colleges across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State’s capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the Adirondacks.
Information Technology Services (ITS) at the University at Albany seeks applicants for a Senior Audiovisual (AV) Engineer. This position is responsible for designing and implementing AV installations, recommending improvements, developing standards, and overseeing the ongoing maintenance of the AV technology located across UAlbany’s campuses. This position will include programming and administering AV technologies and providing oversight of AV designs and upgrades. The Senior AV Engineer will develop, revise, and ensure installations meet ITS’ AV standards. As AV technology is integral to the daily work of the University, the Senior AV Engineer will ensure AV technology meets customer expectations and provides a consistent user experience.
The Senior AV Engineer must stay current with existing and new AV technology, including its design and infrastructure. The Senior AV Engineer will develop and implement both short and long-term strategies for AV across campuses. The AV Engineer responds to incidents and service requests and assists and guides ITS field staff in the maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of AV technology. The Senior AV Engineer will work on service teams providing AV guidance, oversight, and recommendations. The Senior AV Engineer will oversee the work of ITS’ AV specialists, collaborate with ITS service owners, Facilities Management, contracted architects, and AV contractors and consultants.
The Senior AV Engineer will also work as a project manager and as a member of project teams providing AV design expertise and knowledge.
- Serve as the primary technical research and subject matter expert for the design, implementation, development, and ongoing maintenance of the University’s AV technology
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and repair electronic equipment and advanced projection systems used in classrooms, conference and meeting rooms, and small collaboration spaces
- Provide oversight and work closely with ITS AV specialists, ITS Service Owners, and campus partners to assist in reviewing and building complex solutions for projects (new construction, renovations, and upgrades) that utilize new technologies, architectures, and applications in alignment with best practices and ITS standards
- Recommend, program, and configure hardware (such as Crestron and Extron control systems)
- Establish and maintain a consistent user experience across classrooms, conference rooms, small collaboration spaces, and event spaces
- Participate in functional/technical requirements gathering sessions with Service Owners and campus partners to ensure deliverables meet customer needs and adhere to ITS standards
- Generate room layouts and design documents and review drawings/blueprints provided by contracted designers for campus projects
- Oversee AV system OS and software upgrades, patching, and maintenance, and diagnose and resolve incidents and problems
- Analyze and stay current with industry trends through involvement across SUNY technical groups, industry trade organizations, and vendor management activities; translate this to application at the University at Albany working with Service Owners and campus partners through education and communication within and across ITS
- Write and maintain self-service and technical documentation
- Develop training and other knowledge transfer strategies for ITS field support staff
- Earn and maintain industry and manufacturer certifications.
- Work within project scope, schedule, and budget.
- Manage all aspects of assigned projects for the duration of the project lifecycle.
- Coordinate all resources, including third parties/vendors, for executing assigned projects with varying degrees of complexity.
- Manage key relationships with project teams and stakeholders across the University.
- Provide information and data required for budgetary and strategic planning
- Deliver on roles and responsibilities for service teams
- Be available to provide scheduled support and consultation outside normal business hours, including occasional evenings, holidays, or weekends, within reasonable professional obligation and expectation
- Actively participate, as needed, in ITS projects
- A Bachelor’s degree at time of hire from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education (DOE) or by an internationally recognized accrediting organization or 5 years of relevant work experience may be substituted for a degree.
- 5 years’ experience installing and troubleshooting AV technology, including some experience in classrooms or conference rooms
- Experience designing, generating, and documenting user interfaces for and configuration files for various manufacturer control systems, including Crestron and Extron touch panels
- Strong writing and documentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated, to manage multiple priorities and tasks, and to work independently and within a team structure
- Applicants must demonstrate an ability to develop inclusive and equitable relationships within our diverse campus community
- Applicants must demonstrate an ability to support diversity, equity, access, inclusion and belonging relative to their role
- The ability to work with customers with varying levels of Audiovisual (AV) expertise, from beginner to advanced users
- Knowledge of methods of device control such as RS-232, TCP/IP, UDP, and other control standards and protocols
- Possess current industry certifications such as AVIXA CTS, CTS,-D, or CTS P
- Possess current manufacturer DSP certifications, Audinate Dante, Extron Control certifications, Creston Programming, and DM certifications.
- Experience with service, work, and project management tools for receiving incidents and service requests and for managing projects
Professional Rank and Salary Range: Senior Programmer/Analyst, SL4; $82,000-87,000
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the University’s crime statistics for the past three years; and disclosures regarding the University’s current campus security policies. The University at Albany’s Annual Security Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
Pursuant to NYS Labor Law 194-A, no State entity, as defined by the Law, is permitted to rely on, orally or in writing seek, request, or require in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current wage, or salary history as a condition to be interviewed, or as a condition of continuing to be considered for an offer of employment, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation, and for the purpose of verifying information, may such requests be made. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA EMPLOYER
Please apply online via https://albany.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=167141
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- Cover letter stating all the required minimum qualifications and any of the applicable preferred qualifications
- Contact information for three professional references
Special Notes: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. This is an in-person position and is not eligible for telecommuting.
Note: After submitting your resume, the subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).
This posting will remain open until the position is filled.