The University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) is a dynamic public research university with nearly 14,000 graduate and undergraduate students. UMBC offers an inclusive culture that connects innovative teaching and learning, research across disciplines, and civic engagement.
The 2022 U.S. News and World Report Best Colleges rankings affirm UMBC’s position as one of the top universities in the nation. U.S. News ranks UMBC # 6 among all U.S. universities for undergraduate teaching and # 6 on the Most Innovative Universities list. UMBC is nationally recognized as one of the “Great Colleges to Work For” by the Chronicle of Higher Education.
Division of Institutional Advancement
Institutional Advancement inspires commitment to UMBC. We lead fundraising and economic development initiatives to support the University’s strategic priorities and goals. We cultivate and steward relationships with individuals, foundations, corporations, alumni, and colleagues to support UMBC and our community.
In alignment with the University’s values and priorities, we are committed to maintaining a flexible and dynamic work environment that promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion; professional and career development; and collaboration and innovation across units. All team members in Institutional Advancement are responsible for contributing to a culture that is collaborative, inclusive, impactful, authentic, and forward-thinking.
The Associate Director will join a strong university-wide Corporate and Foundation Relations team and focus on expanding UMBC’s corporate-funded research across campus. Corporate gifts and grants provide critical financial support for graduate education and faculty research at UMBC. As one of the university’s front-line fundraising staff, the Associate Director will help increase corporate investment and build key partnerships that support the University’s research priorities. This person will report to Institutional Advancement and work closely with the Office of Research and Creative Achievement. Key responsibilities include:
- Develop strong internal campus relationships with researchers, grant managers, etc. and a thorough understanding of university research policies.
- Monitor the landscape of corporate investment in research areas important to UMBC and advise academic leaders on trends in corporate research funding.
- Support the development of industry research proposals.
- Conduct targeted outreach and relationship development with companies funding university research and facilitate high-value introductions with UMBC researchers
- Cultivate corporate partners for major Federal grant programs, proposals, and centers (such as NSF Industry University Cooperative Research Centers, etc).
- Guide faculty in creating competitive applications to open research RFPs (Microsoft, Amazon, Google, Cisco, etc.)
- Serve as a key knowledge source within Institutional Advancement on major research projects and programs at UMBC.
- Represent UMBC at important on- and off-campus events.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- At least two years of professional experience in research development, technical or business collaboration, innovation and/or related fields requiring partnership development, knowledge of technical topics, and project management.
- Academic research experience and/or advanced academic degree.
- Knowledge of industry research models and methods.
- Experience managing and executing complex, concurrent, time-sensitive projects.
- Exceptional collaboration, communication, and technical writing skills
- Ability to successfully engage with individuals at all levels — from students to CEOs.
- Independent problem-solving skills with experience handling confidential material.
- Commitment to UMBC’s vision and culture of inclusive excellence, social responsibility, and lifelong learning.
This role requires occasional travel and evening and weekend work. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. This position offers a comprehensive benefits package, which includes a choice of medical, dental, and vision insurance, long term disability coverage, life insurance and retirement benefits. UMBC is part of the University System of Maryland. While not guaranteed as a condition of employment, UMBC permits Hybrid work schedules and a Hybrid schedule may be considered for candidates in this role.
To apply, please visit: https://listings.umbc.edu/cw/en-us/job/494274/associate-director-industry-research-development