Benefits of Working at UNCW
Want to become a soaring UNCW Seahawk and work at one of the best universities on the East Coast? Want to put your toes in the sand after a day of work? The University of North Carolina Wilmington offers a wonderfully vibrant university community along with a beautiful location just miles from the beach.
Employees of UNCW are provided a comprehensive benefits package as well as other programs, resources, policies, and practices that help to support a work/life balance. Our programs have been designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit your needs and the needs of your family. Full time employees are eligible for dental, vision and health insurance plans. Health insurance benefit plans eligibility begins on the first of the month following date of hire. Retirement plan contributions begin on the eligibility date following election and include employer contributions for either a defined contribution or a defined benefit plan. Optional disability plans are also available.
Full time employees are also eligible for the tuition waiver program which covers the cost of tuition and fees for up to three (3) undergraduate or graduate courses per academic year at UNCW or any other university within the UNC System. In addition, UNCW covers the cost of tuition and fees for one UNCW course each summer session.
As a full time employee, UNCW also offers a free membership to the Campus Recreation Center, free vaccine and booster shots offered on campus, meditation and yoga sessions, voluntary supplemental insurance coverages, pretax flexible spending accounts, 12 paid holidays, 24 hours of paid community service leave time, paid vacation and sick leave accrual and family medical leave after 12 months of continuous service.
Brief Summary of Work for this Position
The Staff Psychologist provides appropriate counseling or referral services for students, with a focus on student health and well-being.
- Engages in appropriate professional practice as outlined by legal and ethical standards.
- Participates in the development and delivery of proactive psycho-education programming initiatives as needed.
- Participates in the after-hours and on-call rotation.
- Provides general and clinical supervision services as needed.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with campus colleagues in order to provide services that meet the assessed needs of the campus.
- Provides consultation and training services for the campus community regarding the social and emotional needs of students.
- Provides administrative duties as requested or assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- An earned doctorate in counseling or clinical psychology and licensure as a psychologist with a Health Services Provider designation (or license eligible in the state of North Carolina)
- Experience providing clinical counseling services to a college aged population as well as working with the issues and concerns exhibited in a college aged population
- Experience in providing crisis intervention services
- Experience in developing and providing psycho-educational programming for a college-aged population
- Strong interpersonal, oral and writing skills
Once licensed, NC licensure must be maintained to remain eligible for employment.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- At least 3 years of experience providing counseling services within a college counseling center setting
- Current licensure in North Carolina as a Psychologist, Health Services Provider
- Experience with administration, clinical supervision, progressive outreach programming, and campus consultation services
- Professional association involvement
- Additional expertise in at least one other area, including but not limited to multicultural concerns, groups, outreach, developmental issues, mood management, mind-body principles, crisis management, substance abuse, clinical training, supervision, technology, or data/records management
- Experience with administration, clinical supervision, progressive outreach programming and campus consultation services
- Professional association involvement
- Additional expertise in at least one other area including but not limited to multicultural concerns, groups, outreach, developmental issues, mood management, mind-body principles, crisis management, substance abuse, clinical training, supervision, technology, or data/records management
Primary Purpose of Organizational Unit
The Staff Psychologist provides general counseling (individual, relationship, and/or group), development and delivery of outreach programming, consultation, crisis intervention, referral services; provides general and clinical training and supervision as appropriate to the needs of the Counseling Center.
Over the last year, the University of North Carolina Wilmington has made significant investment in the wellbeing of students, which has included funding new full time permanent positions in the Counseling Center and expanding the current practicum and post doctoral training programs. This is consistent with the new strategic plan for the university and the UNCW Chancellor’s dedication to improving mental health resources available on campus.
It is anticipated that these changes and investment in mental health will result in an increasingly multidisciplinary staff that includes a Case Manager, Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselors, Licensed Social Workers, and Licensed Psychologists. Consistent with the Chancellor and UNC System Office priorities, salaries for future permanent staff have been significantly increased for 2024.
The existing training program at UNCW’s Counseling Center, currently composed of two practicum level trainees, is also expected to expand, eventually including multiple practicum trainees from Social Work and the doctoral Psychology program at UNCW. The current Post Doctoral Fellowship training program, which also received significant financial investment in 2024, recently completed the process to become an APICC member program. The training program has also received funding to secure three doctoral internships beginning in August 2025, and it will pursue full APA accreditation.
We are recruiting for multiple positions at this time. Funding is available for spring 2024 start dates but it is expected that some candidates may not be available to begin their employment until summer 2024.
The Division of Student Affairs comprises of departments that are responsible for providing student support, service and educational programs that are accessible to all university community members.
Student Affairs staff members are dedicated individuals known for their passion and commitment to implementing programs and services that affect student development over the course of a lifetime. Student Affairs provides excellent delivery of student services that are responsive to student needs and promotes the quality of life and education both inside and outside the classroom.
We build institutional traditions and lifelong affiliations through creative programs, vibrant student organizations, and a living/learning environment built on core values and uncompromising principles. The Division is a leader and primary spokesperson for students.
The University of North Carolina Wilmington, the state’s coastal university, is dedicated to the integration of teaching, mentoring, research and service. Widely acknowledged for its world-class faculty and staff and continuously recognized at a national level for scholarly excellence and affordability, UNCW offers a powerful academic experience that stimulates creative inquiry and critical thinking and a community rich in diversity, inclusion and global perspectives.
A public institution with nearly 18,000 students, UNCW offers a full range of baccalaureate- and graduate-level programs, as well as doctoral degrees in educational leadership, marine biology, nursing practice and psychology; and many distance learning options, including clinical research, an accelerated RN-to-BSN program, an Executive M.B.A. program structured for working professionals, and the nation’s only bachelor’s degree program focused on coastal engineering.
The university’s efforts to advance research and scholarly activities have earned UNCW the elevated designation of “Doctoral Universities: High Research Activity” institution (R2 University) by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
UNCW has been part of the University of North Carolina System since 1969.
Please apply online at https://jobs.uncw.edu/postings/30901
Special Notes to Applicants
Posting to recruit for 6 Staff Psychologist positions.
Hiring salary range $80,000 – maximum $84,000.
PLEASE NOTE: This posting will close at 11:59PM (Eastern time) on the posted closing date. To receive full consideration, please be sure you have fully completed the entire application, including the ‘Work History’ section before you apply for this position. Applications must be submitted through the online application system to be considered.
At the University of North Carolina at Wilmington (UNCW), our culture reflects our values of inclusion, diversity, globalization, ethics and integrity and innovation and we are committed to providing equality of educational and employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, sex (such as gender, gender identity, marital status, childbirth, and pregnancy), age, color, national origin (including ethnicity), religion, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veteran status, military service member status, genetic information, or relationship to other university constituents – except where sex, age, or ability represent bona fide educational or occupational qualifications or where marital status is a statutorily established eligibility criterion for State funded employee benefit programs. UNCW believes that embracing the unique contributions of our faculty, staff and students is critical to our success and paramount in being recognized for our global mindset.
Eligibility for Employment
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. UNC Wilmington participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.