The Assistant Director for Student Life and Multicultural Affairs works with various University departments to create an environment that nurtures and promotes student learning and development. Serves as a leader in fostering respect for multiculturalism and an appreciation for diverse experiences by interacting daily with 170+ Student Organizations, their 2000+ members, and alumni.
Total responsibilities must equal 100%. List essential functions in decreasing order of importance.
Similar tasks should be grouped together. Any responsibility totaling less than 5% of the time should be grouped with a greater percentage of time function.
Job Function/Responsibilities | % of Time
Program Administration | 45%
- Assist with leading and directing campus inclusion and Multicultural activities.
- Develop a strategic sustainable multicultural awareness program.
- Manage mentorship opportunities for students with diverse backgrounds.
- Research best practices in diversity initiatives and incorporate those findings into actionable strategic plans.
- Manage and facilitate the recruitment programs of NPHC Organizations and serve as the liaison between University and National Greek Organizations and Chapter Advisers.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise, evaluate and mentor student staff that serve the daily needs of students.
- Provide support services and opportunities for student organizations to grow and develop.
- Use technology to streamline processes and increase efficiency.
Advisement and Planning | 30%
- Advise NPHC council in relation to programming, risk management, judicial affairs, construction and by-law adherence, parliamentary procedure, and budget management.
- Conduct weekly meetings with NPHC council to review council business.
- Oversee the NPHC council officer election and training process.
- Promote partnerships across the Greek councils to enhance campus programming and diversity.
- Serve as an advocate and resource for multicultural student organizations.
- Coordinate oversight and advising for student leaders and general members of NPHC Greek student organizations to include initiating, developing, implementing and evaluating various educational, training, accountability and recognition programs in support of their leadership and organizational needs.
Event Execution | 15%
- Assist with reviewing and approving student organization & Greek Life events and programs.
- Coordinate, manage and execute programming for Multicultural Affairs, Student Organizations and Greek Life.
- Create a cultural awareness agenda for Multicultural Affairs by providing programming and services that are relevant to the experiences of diverse students.
- Coordinate efforts with faculty, staff, and community organizational advisors and encourage their involvement in programming efforts.
- Assist/Lead as needed in overall Multicultural Affairs programming such as living learning communities, civic engagement, campus wide programs, etc.
- Collaborate with outside agencies to create service opportunities for students.
Assessment | 5%
- Assist in developing student learning outcomes and oversee ongoing, comprehensive assessment of Student Life and all related programming, education and activities.
- Assist in collecting, analyzing, and reporting information to be used for university-level reports or briefings; assist in preparing and editing various annual and periodic reports and proposals as well as relevant sections of various institutional, division and department publications.
- Provide relative data in reference to Student Life on campus that can be used for assessment and decision making.
- Coordinate assessment relating to student group programs and services.
Other | 5%
- Assist with developing division wide initiatives to enhance student learning and improve the student experience.
- Serve on Division, University and Community committees as assigned.
- Serve as a Student Life resource expert to student recruitment initiatives.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs) required to perform essential job functions. All KSAs should be related to the functions and responsibilities of the position. These statements should all contain the word ‘knowledge”, “skill”, or “ability”. This is not the experience necessary to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrated record of strategic planning and implementation.
- Knowledge of university structure and communication channels.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of student development and learning theory in the advancement of policies and procedures supporting student’s success.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and execute activities that promote diversity.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a diverse population of students and staff in developing and implementing plans that further the mission of the program/division/campus.
- Demonstrated ability to perform managerial responsibilities (planning, leading, budget, assessment, evaluation, and personnel management).
- Demonstrated knowledge of polices and legal issues in higher education.
- Successful experience in building collaborative partnerships.
- Demonstrated record of strategic administrative leadership and experience managing and supervising student staff.