Associate Vice President, Marketing & Communications
Salary: $120,000.00 – $145,000.00 Annually
Job Type: Full-Time Staff
Location: Whitworth University Campus
Department: Marketing and Communications
The Associate Vice President of University Marketing & Communications serves as the chief marketing and communications officer for Whitworth University. The AVP provides leadership in the development and implementation of comprehensive marketing and communications strategies to elevate the visibility of the university in support of its mission, vision and goals and for all university constituencies including prospective students, current students, faculty/staff, alumni, donors, friends and the public. Provides leadership in all external and internal communications including all branding activity, publications, web, media relations, advertising, social media and event promotion. Leads and develops crisis and issues-related strategic communications. Oversees all printing, copying and mailing services and the campus post office.
Marketing & Communications Leadership | 50%
- Lead the development and implementation of a comprehensive marketing & communications strategy to advance Whitworth’s mission and strategic plan.
- Lead branding initiatives that reflect the unique Whitworth educational experience to external audiences through key messaging and visual development via the use of digital and web mediums, marketing and advertising, publicity and media relations, publications and graphics, and social media.
- Direct and oversee the university’s media relations program through the supervision of media relations efforts aimed at local, regional, and national media coverage to raise the awareness and profile of the university.
- Serve on the President’s University Cabinet, providing leadership and consultation in aligning Whitworth’s marketing communications program and brand identity with the strategic plan.
Crisis and Issues-related Management | 30%
- Lead the efforts to develop, exercise, and implement crisis communication strategies through the development of a crisis communication plan and in coordination with the university’s emergency response plan.
- Oversee the use of communications channels to assist in emergencies including the WhitAlert and InformaCast systems, web page, email systems and Pirate Port.
- Provide leadership, as a member of the Emergency Management Task Force (EMFT) to prepare the campus for emergencies through drills, tabletop exercises and FEMA trainings. Lead communications efforts when issues-related incidents occur, including the development of media strategy, talking points and campus communications.
- Serve as primary spokesperson for the university as needed.
- Lead a broad range of functions and employees with direct supervision and development of key personnel responsible for all university marketing & communications functions, printing services, the mail center, and the post office, including the director of university marketing & communications, director of marketing & brand strategy, media relations manager and printing and mailing services manager.
- Provide budget oversight and management of the operating budget for university marketing & communications, printing services, the mail center, and post office.
Other | 5%
- Seek out professional development opportunities for staff and monitor industry trends to remain current on new and emerging channels and technologies for marketing and communicating effectively to Whitworth constituencies.
- Serve on other campus committees and task forces to provide marketing & communications leadership and related input.
Qualifications | Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A master’s degree in a field related to the job is preferred, and Whitworth considers candidates with a wide range of educational backgrounds. We value the skills and knowledge candidates bring to Whitworth, regardless of the paths they have taken to acquire them.
- Eight years of progressively responsible senior leadership experience.
- A highly developed relationship builder, having served as a trusted advisor to organizational leadership.
- Track record of delivering superior strategic communication services and extraordinary audience experiences.
- Experience applying data to test, learn, iterate, inform and measure the results of strategic communications decision-making.
- Extensive experience in storytelling, message development and strategic communications that can engage a wide variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated growth in cultural competence, awareness of societal and structural inequities, and proven experience in effectively establishing relationships and positive communications with students and other constituents across multiple dimensions of diversity including, but not limited to, race, gender, varying abilities, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity, class or religious perspectives.
- A personal commitment to the Christian faith and to the integration of faith and learning.
- A commitment to the educational mission of Whitworth University as a comprehensive Christian liberal arts university affiliated with the Presbyterian church.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of marketing principles, concepts, and methodologies.
- Ability to establish and implement cohesive communication, marketing, and media/public relations strategies and plans on an institutional basis.
- Knowledge of communication principles, media, and public relations techniques.
- Outstanding interpersonal and community relations skills and the ability to communicate and work effectively within a diverse community.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present effectively to small and large groups.
- Employee development and performance management skills.
- Organizational planning, structuring, and staffing skills.
- Ability to analyze complex problems, interpret operational needs, and develop integrated, creative solutions.
- Skill in financial planning and fiscal management.
- Knowledge and understanding of the mission, goals, and objectives of a higher education institution
- Strong strategic planning and management skills.
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: A background check, sexual misconduct check, and confirmation of degrees earned will be required of the successful candidate. A resume, cover letter, faith statement, and names, email addresses, and phone numbers of at least three (3) professional references will also be required.
You are on this webpage because a position at Whitworth sparked your curiosity. If you find yourself questioning hitting the apply button because you might not meet 100% of the qualifications, we think you should do it! Research continues to show that women and BIPOC candidates are less likely to hit the apply button unless they meet all the listed qualifications. One way we are working to overcome this trend is every search committee at Whitworth has a trained Equity Advocate (EA) serving on the team. Our EAs are trained to make space for committees to consider each candidate’s unique and relevant skills and attributes. So, when you click apply, please know that your application is reviewed by a committee of real, living, and breathing human beings who want to understand your experience and skills to find ways you relate to the key competencies needed for success in the position.
Looking for resources to help with writing a faith statement? Check out our faith statement resource page for more information.
Learn more about our shared work to achieve and sustain inclusive excellence HERE.
Whitworth complies with all federal, state, and local nondiscrimination laws that are applicable to religious nonprofit institutions and does not engage in unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, sex, or disability. With our Christ-centered commitment to building a diverse and inclusive community, the university encourages applications from populations underrepresented at Whitworth including members of racial/ethnic communities, women, and persons with disabilities.
Online applications are stored on a secure site. Only authorized employees and hiring authorities have access to the information submitted.
It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess. Applications may be rejected if incomplete.