HBCU Uses Funds Earned Through Its Campus Recycling Efforts for Book Scholarships

MVSU-logoHistorically Black Mississippi Valley State University has increased its sustainability efforts with an effort to increase the number of recycled materials on campus. For all of 2014, the university collected more than 85,000 pounds of recycled materials. In just the last six months of 2015, the university recycled nearly 50,000 pounds of materials. The largest component of the recycling effort is cardboard.

HooverThe university uses the funds it receives from recycled materials for book scholarships for university students. Lafecia Hoover, sustainability coordinator at Mississippi Valley State University notes that “75 percent of funds yielded from recycling are used for student scholarships. The other 25 percent is used to maintain our facilities.”

Due to its extensive recycling program, Mississippi Valley State University was recently ranked as one of the nation’s most eco-friendly historically Black colleges and universities by the Building Green Initiative. Others on the list of eco-friendly public HBCUs included the University of Maryland Eastern Shore, Elizabeth City State University, Florida A&M University, Bowie State University, North Carolina A&T State University, and Morgan State University.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Get the JBHE Weekly Bulletin

Receive our weekly email newsletter delivered to your inbox

Latest News

Three African Americans Who Have Been Appointed to Diversity Posts in Higher Education

Terrence Mitchell was appointed executive director for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice at Mercyhurst University in Erie, Pennsylvania. Faye Belgrave has been named vice president and chief diversity officer at Virginia Commonwealth University and Tammy Bennett is the inaugural vice president for inclusive excellence in philanthropy at the University of Cincinnati Foundation.

Federal Government Calls on States to End Funding Disparities at Black Land-Grant Universities

The federal government sent letters to 16 governors emphasizing the over $12 billion disparity in funding between land-grant Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and their non-HBCU land-grant peers in their states. Unequitable appropriated funding of the 1890 institutions in the states ranges from $172 million to $2.1 billion.

A Trio of Black Scholars in New Faculty Roles at Universities

The City College of New York has appointed Jervette R. Ward as director of the Black Studies Program. Scotti Branton is a new assistant professor of communication at the University of Arkansas, and professor Danille Taylor was appointed director of the Clark Atlanta University Art Museum.

Shaw University to Expand Its Presence to Research Triangle Park

The collaboration will secure Shaw University a dedicated office space within Frontier RTP innovation campus, located in the heart of the city's new vibrant downtown area. The space will include private offices and an administrative area dedicated to Shaw University, as well as classroom space.

Featured Jobs