It didn’t take long for racial hate to rear its ugly head on college campus this fall. Hate crimes have occurred on a number of campuses.
* A Black student at Cornell University was beaten by a group of White men who used racial slurs during the attack. A White student was later arrested in the case and social media spread allegations that members of the Psi Upsilon fraternity were involved. The next day the words “You racist fucks” were written on the outside wall of an annex used by the fraternity.
* A Black student at Cabrini University in Radnor, Pennsylvania, had the words “Nigger go away” written on her dormitory room door.
* An African American student at Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville found the words “Filthy Niggers” on a note left on the door of his campus apartment.
* Three Black students at the University of Michigan had the word “Nigger” written next to their names on the nameplates of their dormitory room doors.
* The word “nigger” was written on the white board on the dormitory room door of a Black first-year student at Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa.
* An African American student at Westfield State University in Massachusetts had a note placed in her room that read “Black People don’t deserve to be ‘united.’ You’re worth nothing.” Another Black student had the word “nigger” written on her dormitory room door.