FT Sr. Applications Analyst (Programmer) – Remote assignment may be considered
Salary: $102,281.16 – $123,280.80 Annually
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: Sr. App-Analyst-2023-IT
Closing: 11/6/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Location: Norwalk, CA
Department: Sr. App-Analyst-2023-IT
Division: Information Technology
Equity and Diversity
The District is strongly committed to achieving staff diversity and the principles of equal opportunity employment. The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation in any of its policies, procedures or practices. In fact, the college encourages applications from all segments of qualified people.
This position will close on November 6, 2023 at 11:59 PM (or when 150 applications are received, whichever occurs sooner).
Cerritos College is ranked 14th among the top 100 schools with the highest Hispanic enrollment in the United States by the United States Department of Education. Cerritos College serves as a comprehensive community college for southeastern Los Angeles County. Communities within the College’s district include Artesia, Bellflower, Cerritos, Downey, Hawaiian Gardens, La Mirada, Norwalk, and portions of Bell Gardens, Lakewood, Long Beach, Santa Fe Springs and South Gate. Cerritos College offers degrees and certificates in more than 180 areas of study in nine divisions. Enrollment currently averages 20,000 students. Visit Cerritos College online at www.cerritos.edu.
The Information Technology Department includes four managers and 22 full-time staff members. Of Which, there are currently six Senior Applications Analysts positions supporting our PeopleSoft ERP system under the supervision and direction of the Director of Information Technology.
The Information Technology Department at Cerritos College supports and maintains both instructional and non-instructional functions for the entire campus community on a 140-acre campus.
Distinguishing Career Features
The position requires expanded capability to consult with users from multiple functions, and for original multi-faceted, multiple platform applications, lead complex projects involving multiple departments/committees, work independently on multiple platforms, and write complete standalone systems in several languages. Incumbents are expected to maintain expertise in one of the College’s major systems such as business/finance packages or student information systems, and will demonstrate the ability to install, test, customize and maintain standardized applications.
Performs advanced analysis, development, coding, testing, and documentation of computer systems and purchased integrated applications on multiple platforms for academic and/or business purposes, following systems development and project management procedures. Consults with staff and coordinates projects for the design and modification of complex and multi-faceted applications. Provides technical support, troubleshooting and problem resolution for staff on computer applications. Develops interfaces to external system.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as a leader for projects by coordinating and otherwise involving staff members from multiple organizational units. Follows systems development life-cycle techniques and utilizes joint application development processes and project management techniques and specialized software packages/applications.
- Defines the scope and objectives for applications, along with constraints and system requirements. Analyzes and defines current organizational functions, processes, sources and uses of information, and other data to determine application needs and requirements.
- Conceptualizes, analyzes, designs, and programs highly diverse and complex programs for administrative and academic users. An example of the programs includes integrating unrelated database fields and sources of data to common access on a desktop computer. Delegates, reviews, and writes the code and completes the documentation to include specifications and miscellaneous notes for all programs.
- Documents workflow using organization and data flow charts and other related materials. Produces application design specifications and documentation on inputs, outputs, and data structures.
- Identifies and documents business processes and workflow that contribute to enhanced information flow by interviewing users, generating process documentation, and proposing process solutions. Identifies information and software to support processes.
- Prepares system design specifications and documentation for all data input, output, and structures.
- Provides support to operating system applications encompassing data integration. Creates utilities and tools, and troubleshoots database problems to enhance applications.
- Coordinates, defines, prepares, and modifies original applications, involving staff members of multiple organizational units, usually in one or more committee formats.
- Organizes the features included in applications by determining the sequence of detailed operations, determining program outcomes, and designing internal program processes.
- Designs inputs, including data entry screens, scanner forms and files. Designs outputs, including reports, files, and display screens. Designs, develops, and implements logical and physical database structures and relationships for microcomputers and network systems.
- Develops, codes, tests, and maintains application software on various platforms. Performs initial testing to application specifications using testing environments, before releasing versions for use.
- Coordinates and implements data conversions and transitions from old to new systems using extract, transform, and load processes. Develops user and system documentation.
- Provides advanced technical support, problem resolution, and data research for assigned end users.
- Troubleshoots application errors. In conjunction with users, isolates problems from symptoms, determines alternatives and develops and implements solutions. If problem is user error, works with staff to improve user instructions or train for better understanding.
- Works with external agencies, independent contractors, vendors, and organizations on technology services, applications, and/or data requirements.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of evolving computer technologies, including hardware, software, languages, problem solving techniques, and development tools. Prepares periodic briefings on technologies that would have relevance to the College.
- May perform network and server administration duties.
- Maintains currency of knowledge and skills related to the duties and responsibilities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
The position requires a Bachelor’s degree, plus four years of progressive experience in applications development and support. Additional experience in applications development may substitute for some higher education. Computer science or related discipline degree is preferable.
Knowledge and Skills
The position requires in-depth knowledge of program development techniques, procedures, tools, and documentation requirements as well as software systems development life cycles. Requires in-depth knowledge of complex principles and procedures of computer systems, including analysis, and design. Requires in-depth knowledge of relational database concepts, design techniques, and tools. Requires in-depth knowledge of computer file methods, structured testing techniques, and programming languages used by the District to support ERP, or others currently in industry use. Requires in-depth knowledge of object-oriented software development techniques and tools. Requires problem solving and analytical skills. Requires well-developed human relations skills to facilitate small group processes, conduct training, provide technical support, and apply understandable lines of questioning when trying to understand department needs or problems.
Must be able to operate a variety of computers, printers, and peripheral equipment. Requires the ability to analyze technical problems and to develop and apply appropriate solutions. Requires the ability to conduct information interviews through individual conferences and group processes, and then translate user requirements into computer programs and systems. Must be able to coordinate systems development functions and steps and follow logical progressions for programming systems. Must be able to design, program, install, and maintain programs for original and purchased applications and systems, including databases. Requires the ability to design host computer logical and physical database structure and relationships, including those for microcomputer and network systems. Requires the ability to write basic to complex programs using ERP tools or other languages. Requires the ability to analyze data and develop logical solutions. Requires the ability to translate the English language into computer languages and debug program code. Requires the ability to discuss technical information with users, discern their needs and develop programs, systems, screens, etc., which meet those needs. Must be able to communicate technical and complex information to nontechnical users. Requires the ability to provide training to on-line users in use of computer equipment and operating procedures. Must be able to read, understand and apply information from technical manuals and education code regulations. Must be able to prioritize work in order to meet deadlines and maintain schedules. Requires the ability to work cooperatively and productively with others.
Incumbent must be able to function effectively indoors engaged in work of primarily a sedentary nature. Ability to sit for extended periods of time to accomplish data input and desk work. Requires sufficient hand, arm, speech recognition, and finger dexterity to use a personal computer keyboard, multimedia presentation, and other office equipment. Requires normal hearing and speaking skills to communicate with staff in one-on-one and small group settings, and distinguish sound prompts from equipment. Visual acuity to read printed materials and computer screens. Requires the ability to occasionally push, pull or lift a maximum of 50 lbs. from overhead, waist and floor levels with assistance from co-workers as necessary.
Licenses and Certificates
May require a valid driver’s license.
Work is performed indoors where minimal safety considerations exist. Remote assignment may be considered.
Grade 52 on District Classified Salary Schedule ($8,523.43 – $10,273.40 /month).
Health and welfare benefits include District contribution for medical/dental/vision benefits and employee life insurance ($50,000). (Cash in lieu option available on medical insurance.)
Participation in the Public Employee’s Retirement System that is also integrated with Social Security.
After the application closing date, a search committee will review and invite the most qualified applicants for an interview. As these are highly competitive positions, meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee an interview. If you have questions or would like to follow-up regarding your application, please contact Human Resources at HR@Cerritos.edu as search committee members are unable to discuss specific recruitments.
Conditions of Employment
This is a full-time, 12-calendar month classified position.
Hours of employment are:
Monday thru Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Initial placement of employees on Classified Salary schedule is at Step 1. After six months of successful probationary employment, employee is placed at Step 2.
Employment is to be effective as soon as possible following completion of the selection process.
Individual who is offered employment shall be required to obtain fingerprints for a criminal history clearance through the State Department of Justice and remit the required fee for processing the fingerprints, Federal Bureau of Investigation (no fee if obtained at Cerritos College Campus Police Station), produce an original social security card, and submit negative TB test results (must be within the past four years or within the last 60 days if not previously employed in a school district in California) before employment.
Proof of eligibility to work in the United States and signing of loyalty oath per Government Codes 3100-3109.
**Please note – the District does not provide for immigration sponsorships such as H1B Visas
Board Policy 2905 requires mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations as a condition of employment. The District requires all employees to submit proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, as defined by the CDC. Full policy details can be found on the website; Cerritos College – Chapter 2 – Board of Trustees. Employees may submit requests for medical or religious exemptions to the vaccine mandate for consideration. Details are available on the District’s COVID-19 webpage.
Application materials must be submitted by the closing date. Applicants who need special services or facilities due to disability in order to apply or interview for this position must notify Human Resources at the time of application or at least 72 hours prior to the closing date or date of a scheduled interview.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide copies of all transcript(s) verifying all educational degree(s) and/or coursework required for the position. Transcripts must be from regionally accredited institutions. A foreign transcript must be evaluated by a NACES certified agency. The website address is www.naces.org.
Required Documents needed to apply
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter / Letter of Interest
- Transcripts (Must show all coursework completed and the conferral date of the degree)
The District ensures that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunity, and are not subjected to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of national origin, religion, age, sex or gender, race, color, medical condition, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or because he or she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. .jeid-8b16fbd42caaba47bb6e952909db67af