Florida A&M University in Tallahassee is unveiling a new historical marker to honor the work performed at the Florida A&M University Hospital. The marker, authorized by the Florida Department of State, recognizes the significant contributions made by the hospital in the health care of African Americans in the area.
From 1950 to 1971, the FAMU Hospital was the only medical facility for African Americans within 150-miles of the state capital. The hospital also served as the home for the university pharmacy and nursing programs. The hospital closed in 1971 after area hospitals were racially integrated. The building was renovated and still stands today, housing the Foote-Hilyer Administration Center and Student Health Services.
The historical marker will be unveiled during the university’s Black History Convocation ceremony and later placed in its permanent home on the corner of Palmer Avenue and Adams Street.