Howard University released a comprehensive report detailing the significant progress the university has made on its Howard Forward strategic plan. Launched in 2019, the plan aims to transform the university through various initiatives that strengthen Howard’s position as a leading institution for education and research in the 21st century.
The report highlights the university’s advancements across five key priorities outlined in the strategic plan:
1. Enhance academic excellence.
2. Inspire new knowledge.
3. Serve the community.
4. Improve efficiency and effectiveness.
5. Achieve financial sustainability.
Some of the achievements relating to these goals include:
1. In 2022, Howard secured a record-breaking $122 million in research funding.
2. The university raised more money for student financial aid in the past three years than in the previous 150 years combined.
3. The university invested $785 million in infrastructure.
4. The university’s endowment increased to $865.3 million.
5. Enrollment increased to more than 12,500 students and the university’s retention rate improved to 90 percent.
“Howard has a long-standing reputation as a leader in higher education, with a dedication to serving the Black diaspora,” said Wayne A. I. Frederick, president of Howard University. “The Howard Forward strategic plan allows us to build upon that legacy of excellence to ensure that Howard continues to uphold its position as an innovator in equitable and responsive education.”