This Assistant Director of Culinary Operations manages the daily administrative, operational, and culinary tasks, sanitation and safety of the Residential and Retail Dining production team serving approximately 3500 meals daily, as well as $6 million in Catering sales. This position also motivates, trains, develops, and directs all residential culinary employees to accomplish the objectives of the operation to the satisfaction of the customers. The Assistant Director of Culinary Operations will be responsible for menu and recipe development, food presentation, and production for special events and Catering. This position reports directly to a Director or Executive Sous Chef depending on the area.
- Degree from accredited culinary school or program, or equivalent combination of education and culinary experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of culinary principles and techniques.
- 3-5 years of experience leading a culinary staff, preferably in a high-volume operation and/or in a union environment.
- Possesses general hospitality knowledge and interest in sustainability and sustainable food practices.
- Has the ability to operate Web based ordering systems, process customer requests, changes to orders, menu updates and client profiles.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Demonstrated effective communication, leadership, conflict resolution and training skills.
- Demonstrated ability to adhere to budgetary guidelines.
- Ability to prioritize, problem-solve, and work independently.
- Ability to work as an integral member of a management team.
- Sensitivity to a diverse population.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which may include early mornings, evenings, and weekends.
- Working knowledge of MS Office suite including Word and Excel.
- Experience with menu and recipe management and/or automated time tracking system preferred.
- RI Food Safety Certification is required; willingness to obtain within one year of hire.
- Possesses a willingness and ability to support and promote a diverse and inclusive campus community.
Major Responsibility: Maintain a high-quality standard of and service at all times -30%
- Develop new dining concepts and recipes that are nutritionally sound
- Test, develop and code new recipes into FSS
- Perform hands-on monitoring of retail production activities and ensure that all standards are maintained
- Assure quality in terms of appearance, consistency and taste
- Assure proper product rotation and handling of food
- Order food and supplies while adhering to established specifications
- Ensure that all purchased products and ingredients that are used follow Brown Dining purchasing standards and sustainability commitments
- Ensure that dining rooms open and close on time and that advertised menu offerings are served
- Regularly meet with staff to communicate changes, reinforce expectations, and maintain morale
- Perform routine audits and share results with staff
Major Responsibility: Manage of workforce – 30 %
- Directly responsible for Union, student, and Temp staff
- Model effective leadership and set the right example
- Assist in hiring and oversee training
- Develop training methods to continually improve and refine operational procedures and outcomes
- Ensure that routine in-services (on standard operating procedures, safety, equipment maintenance, etc.) are planned and executed
- Continually review effectiveness and revise employee training offerings and materials
- Write annual union performance reviews
- When performance deficiencies are identified, work with the Executive Chef, and Dining Services Human Resources on a development plan as needed and uniquely adaptive to each situation.
- Create and maintain a positive work environment
- Foster effective communications among and between all workforces
Major Responsibility: General Management -20%
- Ensure that operations open and close on time and that optimal service to customers are provided throughout
- Order food and supplies
- Oversee cash control
- Ensure proper functioning of POS system
- Manage cash flow
- Verify accuracy of banks and impress funds, and reconcile cash out reports, deposits and register tapes
- Oversee inventory control
- Take and record monthly inventory as defined by department standards
- Receive and inspect product deliveries and submit invoices to administrative office
- Monitor sales and expense reports and take steps to ensured adherence to the budget
- Work with management team to ensure that all catering and culinary set up meet specific account standards
Major Responsibility: Fiscal management and adherence to budget -20 %
- Maintain accurate culinary schedules
- Monitor adherence to culinary schedule and approve payroll
- Monitor food quality and take corrective measures to reduce waste
- Order food and beverages according to defined standards and using approved vendors
- Ensure security of safes, cash boxes, and food and equipment within service areas
- Ensure accuracy of banks and impress funds according to departmental standards
- Process cash deposits
- Assist in establishing inventory levels
- Record monthly inventory.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a background and employment records check satisfactory to Brown University.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Assistant Director of Culinary Operations
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA exaployer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.