FT Accounting Technician II
Salary: $61,144.92 – $73,434.72 Annually
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: Accounting-23
Closing: 11/6/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Location: Norwalk, CA
Division: Business Services
Equity and Diversity
The District is strongly committed to achieving staff diversity and the principles of equal opportunity employment. The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation in any of its policies, procedures or practices. In fact, the college encourages applications from all segments of qualified people.
This position will close on November 6, 2023 at 11:59 PM (or when 75 applications are received, whichever occurs sooner)
Cerritos College is ranked 14th among the top 100 schools with the highest Hispanic enrollment in the United States by the United States Department of Education. Cerritos College serves as a comprehensive community college for southeastern Los Angeles County. Communities within the college’s district include Artesia, Bellflower, Cerritos, Downey, Hawaiian Gardens, La Mirada, Norwalk, and portions of Bell Gardens, Lakewood, Long Beach, Santa Fe Springs and South Gate. Cerritos College offers degrees and certificates in more than 180 areas of study in nine divisions. Enrollment currently averages 20,000 students. Visit Cerritos College online at http://www.cerritos.edu.
Cerritos College is committed to hiring employees who are creative, open to change and new methods or work practices; have a passion for continuous learning and self-improvement and are willing to promote the College’s mission as a learning institution. Our department is looking for employees who display attention to detail and the ability to work in a team environment and manage multiple tasks and project in order to meet deadlines.
Performs financial record keeping duties associated with the processing and completing of accounting transactions for various accounts. Assumes responsibility for one or more elements within a complete accounting system such as accounts receivable, accounts payable, fund accounts, and limited-scope financial statements.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Accounting Technician II requires demonstrated competency in processing a full range of transactions for several closely related accounting area such as cash, accounts payable and receivable.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares and processes accounts payable information to comply with various payment timetables. Verifies and reconciles documentation of merchandise and services received against claims, invoices, purchase orders, and packing slips.
- Prepares and processes accounts receivable and miscellaneous reimbursement (e.g., revolving cash) items for accounting and disbursement.
- Identifies, verifies and corrects standardized account codes, authorization, and available and qualifying budgets.
- Assists others with resolving problems with accounting transactions and adjustments such as credit memoranda, undocumented purchases and invoices, goods and services not received, returned or refund checks.
- Monitors transaction status such as payment histories, partial payments, past due charges, merchandise back orders, purchase orders as payables, purchase orders as rollovers for the new fiscal year, and end-of-year payables cutoff.
- Prepares backup documentation for accounting transactions such as checks mailed. Reviews and verifies that vendor statements are paid and invoices have been posted to correct accounts. Prepares payment schedules and current check listings. Maintains records of check documents and payment histories.
- Compares accounts payable and related information contained in internal databases to account details and amounts contained in County Office of Education records. Initiates communications and corrective actions.
- Provides support toward establishing vendor/contractor accounts. Secures appropriate signatures and other supporting information contained in files.
- Reconciles and compiles periodic reports to show statistics such as cash receipts, accounts payable, and accounts receivable. Trace transactions through previous accounting actions to identify and correct discrepancies.
- Prepares documents such as invoices and account statements. Follows up with customers on account balances that are outstanding, or involve multiple fiscal years. May recommend remedial action, write-off of account balances, or settlements negotiated to resolve account disputes and delinquencies.
- Reviews and processes miscellaneous items related to accounts payable and accounts receivable such as credit cards and open purchase orders.
- Assists with posting journal entries to general ledger following established instructions and procedures for corrections and other adjustments.
- May prepare financial reports or supporting information for reports such as sales tax and Form 1099. Reconciles cash, accounts payable and receivable, and other current accounts.
- Provides administrative support to projects and special assignments that require getting information and cooperation from other departments and vendors.
- May prepare correspondence relating to assigned responsibilities.
- Maintains currency of knowledge and skills relating to the duties and responsibilities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
The position requires completion of high school, or the equivalent, plus post-secondary courses in bookkeeping or accounting and 3 years experience in a production oriented record keeping or cashiering capacity.
Work experience in Higher Education. High School plus post-secondary courses in Bookkeeping or Accounting and 2 years in a production oriented capacity. Working knowledge of data input in various/multiple computerized accounting systems.
Knowledge and Skills
The position requires a working knowledge of the principles, practices, and terminology of financial and statistical record keeping and accounting data entry practices. Requires a working knowledge of governmental and fund accounting procedures for accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash management and disbursements. Requires a working knowledge of computer-aided accounting systems to setup accounts, enter accounting transactions, and extract detail and summary information. Requires a working knowledge of office clerical procedures and computer-aided office productivity software. Requires sufficient writing skills to prepare routine business correspondence, document work processes, and write account footnotes. Requires sufficient math skills to compute totals, extensions, portions, ratios, quotients, and percentages. Requires sufficient human relation skills to convey policies and procedures and to deal cooperatively with others on accounting transactions.
Requires the ability to learn and apply accounting rules and procedures, sales and use tax requirements and schedules, and procedures for electronic transfer of accounting information. Requires the ability to learn various vendor accounting requirements and cycles. Requires the ability to search, compile, and interpret accounting data. Requires the ability to maintain accurate and retrievable files, records, audit trails and trace transactions to original entries. Requires the ability to perform accounting and general math computations quickly and accurately. Requires the ability to organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines and timetables. Requires the ability to work cooperatively with individuals and work teams within and outside the department, including vendors and outside agencies. Requires the ability to access and use a computer, common office productivity software, and specialized accounting software to access databases. Requires the ability to work cooperatively and productively with others.
Incumbent must be able to work in an office setting engaged in work of a primarily sedentary nature. Requires sufficient hand-eye-arm coordination to use a keyboard and 10-key, arm/hand movements to retrieve work materials from storage files, and operate a variety of general office equipment. Requires visual acuity to read computer screens, printed material, and detailed accounting information. Requires auditory ability to carry on conversations over the phone and in person.
Licenses and Certificates
May require a valid driver’s license.
Work is performed indoors where minimal safety considerations exist.
Grade 30 on District Classified Salary Schedule ($5,095.41- $6,119.56 /month). Beginning salary placement typically is on Step 1 of the salary grade.
Health and welfare benefits include District contribution for medical/dental/vision benefits and employee life insurance ($50,000). (Cash in lieu option available on medical insurance.)
Participation in the Public Employee’s Retirement System that is also integrated with Social Security.
After the application closing date, a search committee will review and invite the most qualified applicants for an interview. As these are highly competitive positions, meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee an interview. If you have questions or would like to follow-up regarding your application, please contact Human Resources at HR@Cerritos.edu as search committee members are unable to discuss specific recruitments.
Conditions of Employment
This is a full-time, 12-calendar month classified position. Continued employment is contingent upon funding and the provisions of the CSEA collective bargaining agreement.
Hours of employment are:
Monday thru Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Employment is to be effective as soon as possible following completion of the selection process.
Individual who is offered employment shall be required to obtain fingerprints for a criminal history clearance through the State Department of Justice and remit the required fee for processing the fingerprints, Federal Bureau of Investigation (no fee if obtained at Cerritos College Campus Police Station), produce an original social security card, and submit negative TB test results (must be within the past four years or within the last 60 days if not previously employed in a school district in California) before employment.
Proof of eligibility to work in the United States and signing of loyalty oath per Government Codes 3100-3109.
Board Policy 2905 requires mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations as a condition of employment. The District requires all employees to submit proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, as defined by the CDC. Full policy details can be found on the website; Cerritos College – Chapter 2 – Board of Trustees. Employees may submit requests for medical or religious exemptions to the vaccine mandate for consideration. Details are available on the District’s COVID-19 webpage
**Please note – the District does not provide for immigration sponsorships such as H1B Visas
Application materials must be submitted by the closing date. Applicants who need special services or facilities due to disability in order to apply or interview for this position must notify Human Resources at the time of application or at least 72 hours prior to the closing date or date of a scheduled interview.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide copies of all transcript(s) verifying all educational degree(s) and/or coursework required for the position. Transcripts must be from regionally accredited institutions. A foreign transcript must be evaluated by a NACES certified agency. The website address is www.naces.org.
- Cover Letter
- Copy of Unofficial Transcripts (Must show all coursework completed and conferral date of the degree)
The District ensures that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunity, and are not subjected to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of national origin, religion, age, sex or gender, race, color, medical condition, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or because he or she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. .jeid-cc027ef50344a946a9bb13bf12da5d40