About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany’s broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and public service engages a diverse student body of approximately 17,000 students in nine schools and colleges across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State’s capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the Adirondacks.
Information Technology Services (ITS) at the University at Albany seeks applicants for an Infrastructure Automation Engineer to support the academic, research, and business needs of this vibrant institution. The successful candidate has the technical knowledge and intellectual curiosity to build complex environments for a wide variety of disciplines and departments. She/He/They have keen analytical skills and are driven to solve problems and acquire new knowledge to inform and build an environment commensurate with the needs of a public research university.
As part of a group of IT professionals, the Infrastructure Automation Engineer plays a key role in design, development, implementation, and maintenance of application and infrastructure systems to provide secure and robust solutions. She/He/They are adept at working in physical and virtual environments, and on-premises and cloud-based applications.
The Infrastructure Automation Engineer collaborates across ITS, providing input and expertise to a range of services such as email, web, identity and access management, teaching and learning, and research and advanced computing.
- Provide day-to-day operational ownership for assigned AI/ML platforms including patching, upgrading, configuration management, system backups, continuous monitoring, and performance management.
- Design and implement automated solutions for hardware and software infrastructure.
- Automate the deployment, scaling, and monitoring of applications and services, and administer automated workflow tools, middleware application servers (i.e., Oracle Weblogic, IBM WebSphere), and server visualization technologies (i.e., VMware, Red Hat Virtualization, or Oracle VM).
- Create and maintain infrastructure as code (IaC) scripts using tools such as Terraform, Ansible, or Puppet.
- Collaborate with software development and operations teams to implement continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) pipelines.
- Manage and maintain virtual and cloud-based infrastructure, including servers, storage systems, and networking equipment.
- Monitor and optimize system performance and availability.
- Maintain security posture in accordance with industry best practice and ITS policies and procedures. Implement and maintain security controls to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of data and systems.
- Participate in incident response and disaster recovery planning and testing.
- Evaluate and recommend new technologies and tools to improve the efficiency and reliability of our infrastructure.
- Manage host environments to ensure proper tuning and sufficient capacity (including web servers, database servers, VMWare, Cisco, Citrix, SAN, directories, and blades).
- Engage in the design and build of solutions that align with architectural norms, industry best practices, ITS standards, and meet project and operational requirements. Contribute to the development of architectural blueprints, templates, tools, systems standards, technical roadmaps, and operational procedures.
- Plan, design, build, implement, and support a growing array of cloud automation tools and services.
- Maintain subject matter expertise by staying current with industry trends and following a professional development plan.
- Effectively and proactively communicate with peers, researchers, and management.
- Be available to provide scheduled support and consultation outside normal business hours, including occasional evenings, holidays, or weekends, within reasonable professional obligation and expectation.
- A bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education (DOE) or internationally recognized accrediting organization.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Proven design, planning, and implementation experience with infrastructure components including Linux servers, storage, and network.
- Applicants must demonstrate an ability to develop inclusive and equitable relationships within our diverse campus community
- Applicants must demonstrate an ability to support diversity, equity, access, inclusion, and belonging relative to their role
- Experience with infrastructure as code (IaC) tools such as Terraform, Ansible, or Puppet.
- Experience with automation and configuration management tools such as Jenkins, CircleCI, or TravisCI.
- Experience working with cloud technologies
- Cloud certification such as AWS, Azure, or similar.
- Experience administering enterprise networking.
- Experience with centralized logging/log aggregation tools such as Splunk.
Professional Rank and Salary Range: Senior Programmer Analyst, SL4; $100,000-110,000
Special Notes: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. This position has the potential for telecommuting up to 50%.
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the University’s crime statistics for the past three years; and disclosures regarding the University’s current campus security policies. The University at Albany’s Annual Security Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
Pursuant to NYS Labor Law 194-A, no State entity, as defined by the Law, is permitted to rely on, orally or in writing seek, request, or require in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current wage, or salary history as a condition to be interviewed, or as a condition of continuing to be considered for an offer of employment, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation, and for the purpose of verifying information, may such requests be made. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA EMPLOYER
Please apply online via https://albany.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=166654
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- Cover letter stating all the required minimum qualifications and any of the applicable preferred qualifications
- Contact information for three professional references
Note: After submitting your resume/CV, the subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).