Olufunmilayo Arewa, Walter Allen Bennett Jr. and Christine Thorpe begin new teaching duties.
Here is news of African Americans who are assuming new posts at colleges and universities throughout the United States.
Stephanie Power-Carter is an associate professor at the School of Education.
Cherene Sherrard-Johnson and Barrymoore Bogues will spend the year at the Center for Comparative Studies in Race and Ethnicity.
He will also teach English at the University of Nebraska at Lincoln.
Michele Minter was vice president for development at The College Board.
Here is news of eight appointments of African Americans to positions in higher education.
Gilbert Rochon and Sylvester Neal are honored for their achievements.
Dr. Toni Miles was a professor at the University of Louisville.
Jackee Budesta Batanda will also work with journalists at two major American newspapers during her seven-month fellowship.
Here is this week's personnel news on African Americans in higher education.
A summary of this week's significant awards bestowed on blacks in higher education.
• Moustapha Diack, a professor in the doctoral program of science and mathematics education at Southern University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, received the 2011...
• Linda Rose was appointed vice president of academic affairs at Santa Ana College in California. Since 2005, she has served as dean of...
Horace Lamar Jr. and Lloyd Benjamin Mallory Jr. join the faculty at Delaware State.
Keith Pigues and Ontario Wooden are the new appointees.
Honors bestowed on African Americans by colleges and universities.
Here are this week's notable appointments of African Americans to posts in higher education.
Mary Ellen Moule was elected chair of the board of trustees of historically black Voorhees College in Denmark, South Carolina. She is the first woman to hold the position in the college’s 115-year history.
Vel Phillips Hall is only the second building on campus named after an African American.
The John and Eula Cleveland Chair in Black History Studies at Howard University is the first endowed chair in the university’s department of Afro-American studies.
Cary F. Fraser, an associate professor of African and African-American studies at Pennsylvania State University, was named president of the University of Belize in Central America.
The William H. Bowen School of Law at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock has established a new scholarship program to honor George Howard Jr., the first African-American federal judge in Arkansas.
Dianne M. Pinderhughes and Kurt L. Schmoke were named co-chairs of the advisory committee for the Civic Engagement and Governance Institute at the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies in Washington.
Professor Christian was honored for his book, Media Bias, Perspective, and State Repression: The Black Panther Party.
• Amber Hunter was named director of undergraduate admissions at the University of Nebraska at Lincoln. She is the first African-American to hold the position...
• Sade Kosoko-Lasaki, associate vice president for health sciences, multicultural and community affairs at the Creighton University School of Medicine in Omaha, Nebraska, was named...
JoAnn W. Haysbert, president of Langston University in Oklahoma, has announced that she will step down at the end of the year. President Haysbert is the first woman to lead the historically black university. She has served as president for six years.
Tucker is leaving the Atlanta Journal-Constitution to serve as a visiting professor at the University of Georgia’s Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication.
• Mercy Eyadiel was appointed executive director for employment development in the Office of Personal and Career Development at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North...
• Billy C. Hawkins, president of Talladega College in Alabama, received the Omega Century Award for Excellence at the centennial celebration of the Omega Psi...
Dr. Hardy has been serving as dean of the College of Science, Engineering, and Technology at Jackson State.
Dorothy Cowser Yancy was named interim president of Shaw University in Raleigh, North Carolina.
• Esther S. Powell, director of nontraditional adult student services at Winston-Salem State University in North Carolina, was elected vice president of the Alpha Sigma...
• Alexander G. Clark Sr. was inducted posthumously into the Iowa African-American Hall of Fame. In 1867, more than 85 years before Brown v. Board...
Rodney S. Clark was named dean of the Attleboro campus of Bristol Community College, based in Fall River, Massachusetts. Clark was dean of admissions at the college.